1819 Avenue E,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: R.M. Kennedy
The Franklin Theatre was built in conjunction with the nearby Belle Theatre in the early-1900’s by Joe Steed.
Both were managed by Dan McEachern until the early-1920’s, and then by Joseph W. Andrews. During his tenure, Andrews' daughter was the usual accompanist on organ, player piano or Victrola. J. D. McCorie’s big band played for the evening shows six nights a week.
The Franklin Theatre’s marquee featured a large electric clock. The theatre was the site of the world premier for George Archimbaud’s "Men of Steel" (1926) which was filmed in Ensley. It closed in the early-1930’s.
It had reopened by 1950. The building has twice been re-used as a restaurant, and is now vacant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
The Franklin Theatre had a Reproduco organ.
The Franklin might have closed for a while in the early 1930s but apparently reopened. A 908-seat Franklin Theatre is listed at Ensley, Alabama, in the 1950 Film Daily Yearbook.