22577 Mission Boulevard,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Golden State Theater & Realty Corp.
The Hayward Theatre was built in 1926 at a cost of $175,000 and owned by the Golden State Theater and Realty Corp. It opened on March 18, 1926 with Reginald Denny in “California Straight Ahead” plus vaudeville on the stage. During the early years, it showed silent films and had vaudeville acts on Sunday evenings. This theatre was once considered “the entertainment center of Hayward” and was located in downtown Hayward on Mission Boulevard near A Street.
In the early-1970’s, it, along with the Ritz Theatre up the street, had suffered from declining attendance due to a (then) declining downtown and multiplex theatres built in the western part of Hayward.
After an attempt at being a discount house, the Hayward Theatre switched to adult porn movies in April 1973. (The Ritz Theatre would follow the same route less than 6 months later.) The Hayward Theatre was destroyed by fire in June 1976 and on its site now rests a parking lot for a new Alberson’s supermarket as part of a revitalized downtown Hayward.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.