35 E. Idaho Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Gordon family, early owners of the Star Theatre located just around the corner on State Street, were the operators of the Mayfair Theatre. It opened on Aigist 29, 1936 with Sally Eilers in “Florida Special”.
The Mayfair Theatre was across the street from the historic Knights of Pythias lodge, which was at one time showing movies under the name of the Star Theatre. According to Bruce Gordon’s interview with the Idaho State Historical Society’s oral history program the Mayfair Theatre was used for B movies and as an overflow house for the Star Theatre.
Gordon, grandson of the theatre’s founder, remembers reels of “Gone with the Wind” being carried back and forth between the two theatres.
In 1945, the Gordon family contracted Joseph L. Lawrence Theatres (operators of the Villa Theatre) of Salt Lake City to book and operate the Star Theatre and the Mayfair Theatre. Due to declining attendance, the Mayfair Theatre closed in about 1948 and Lawrence Theatres carried on their arrangement with the Star Theatre until about 1952. Since the mid-1950’s the Athena Club has occupied the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.