Newcastle upon Tyne,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Bacon's (Sidney) Pictures Ltd.
Firms: Marshall & Tweedy
Functions: Bowling Alley
Previous Names: Brighton Electric Theatre
Located on the corner of Westgate Road and Lynnwood Terrace, west of Newcastle upon Tyne city centre. The Brighton Electric Theatre was opened on 10th July 1911. It was the first of three sections of a ‘leisure centre to open, the 800-seat Assembly Hall followed in November 1911 and a nine table snooker hall followed in April 1912.
The Brighton Electric Theatre had 767 seats in the stalls and 318 seats in the circle. There were also 14 boxes, four of which were at the rear of the stalls. By 1934 it was operated by the Sidney Bacon Pictures Ltd. circuit.
The Brighton Cinema was taken over by W.J. Clavering in April 1947. It was the first ‘suburban’ cinema in the city to be equipped with CinemaScope when "The Robe" was presented on 1st March 1954. The Brighton Cinema was closed on 20th April 1963 with Hayley Mills in "In Search of the Castaways".
It was converted into a 10-pin bowling alley from November 1963, which is still open as an AMF Bowl in 2010.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)