No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: J.B. Bailey & Son
Previous Names: Picture Theatre, Electric Theatre, Palace Cinema
Located in Keighley, West Yorkshire. The Picture Theatre was opened in 1910. By 1914 it had been re-named Electric Theatre. By 1927 it had been re-named Palace Cinema. It was operated by the same independent owners of the towns' Cosy Corner Picture House. It was equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system.
On 31st December 1952 it was taken over by new owners and closed for modernisation, reopening as the Cavendish Cinema on 6th April 1953. It was listed with a 33 feet wide proscenium and a Western Electric(WE) sound system had been installed. From 8th June 1961 it began operating as a bingo club 2-days a week, and from 6th August 1961 bingo was plays on 3-days a week.
The Cavendish Cinema screened its last films on 13th September 1961 and became a full time bingo club. It has since been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
The picture theatre on Cavendish Street in Keighley opened on 10 December 1910. It had a single, sloping floor and was operated by the owners of the Picture Palace on Russell Street (which closed in 1924). The architects were J B Bailey & son of Keighley. It is listed in the Kinematograph Year Book 1914 as the Electric Theatre with a capacity of 800. By KYB 1927 it had become the Palace operated by Keighley Palace Ltd.
Still called the Palace, it was sold in December 1952. It closed on 31 December and was extensively refitted, the proscenium moved back, and new equipment (presumably including CinemaScope) installed. It reopened on 6 April 1953, rebranded as the Cavendish. KYB 1954 has 600 as the capacity and Palace (Keighley) Ltd as the owners.
Commencing 8 June 1961 it ran bingo two days per week; then three days per week from 6 August. The last film show was on 13 September, and bingo took over. Along with neighbouring premises, it has been demolished.