Willow Tree Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Tudor Revival
Previous Names: Cinema House
A large suburban cinema, opened in 1923 on the Altrincham/Hale border in the Trafford section of Greater Manchester. There had been local opposition but residents took the cinema to their hearts and it was well supported. The circle seated 211, the remaining 637 in the stalls. It had a 22ft deep stage which was used for variety acts. The Cinema House orchestra provided accompaniment to the silent films. A café run by Madam Megaffin was provided, but only private dancing was permitted. In 1929 it was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system and variety acts were still part of the programme. After World War II the café became a bar.
By the 1950’s it had been re-named Hale Cinema and was operated by the Snape & Ward chain. By 1963 it was operated by the G.B. Snape Group of Assoc. Cinema Companies chain. It survived until closure on 6th May 1968. It has since been demolished and housing has been built on the site. Nine photographs are provided in the book ‘Cinemas of Trafford’ by Douglas Rendell (1998).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.