Cox Opera House
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: M.P. Opera House, Majestic Theatre
The Cox Opera House was Tishomingo’s second and final opera house. It opened on April 22, 1911 with a live play. But opera houses all over the country would be challenged by the popularity and low costs of movies. So the Cox Opera House became an early venue for moving pictures in town operating as the M.P. Opera House. So popular were movies that the Majestic Theatre - one of the town’s two early nickelodeons along with the Happy Hour Theatre - moved into the Cox Opera House. Audiences went elsewhere for films including the Empress Theatre in 1920 leaving the Cox Opera House virtually unbooked.
A plan to convert the Opera House to a hotel occurred but was not developed in 1920. The Opera House burned badly on December 29, 1921 and was finally razed in April of 1923.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.