1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Consolidated Theatres
Architects: Charles William Dickey
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The beautiful Hilo Theatre opened on April 25, 1940 with 1,037 seats. A large entrance way with a free standing box office and miles of neon lit up the front of the theatre. The lobby was large and spacious with tropical flowers and plants along the walls of the lobby. The front of the theatre was lined along the walkways with planters with tropical flowers. The marquee was a double sided single panel with the attractions listed on both sides and located above the covered entrance. Large neon letters above the marquee spelled out “Hilo”.
It was complete with an organ and grand piano. Radio broadcasts were done from the Hilo Theatre starting in the early-1940’s.
The theatre suffered devastating damage from a tsunami on May 23, 1960. It never reopened and was demolished in 1965.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
Information, history and photos of the Hilo Theatre can be found at http://www.palacehilo.org/HiloTheatre.html