1230 Market Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: William Goldman Theaters Inc.
Architects: William Harold Lee
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Architect William H. Lee designed this small, 400-seat Streamline Moderne newsreel theatre which opened on November 20, 1937 on the 1200 block of the south side of Market Street East. A sign proclaimed “Open All Night”. This was one of downtown Philadelphia’s two newsreel theatres, the other being the Trans-Lux Theatre(listed as Eric’s Palace Theatre on Cinema Treasures) at 1519 Chestnut Street.
Box Office of August 20, 1938 reported that Goldman’s News Theatre was showing re-issues of films. William Goldman was a local movie theatre exhibitor. Motion Picture Herald, March 15, 1941 reported that since 1938 “the News Theatre offers a two-hour program, changed weekly, of a feature picture revival and a 25-minute giant newsreel, edited from all five newsreels. The house is open from 10am to 11:30pm weekdays, 10am to 12 midnight on Saturday and 2pm to 12 midnight on Sunday. Charging 15 cents until 6pm and 25 cents (plus tax) in the evening. War news is the chief attraction, according to the management, but interest is equally keen when there is some item of special importance. Moreover, during the football season news shots of the principal games are as popular as war happening”.
The News Theatre closed in 1971 and along with the Palace Theatre on the same block was demolished, replaced by the opening in 1974 of the 1234 Market Street office building that adjoins the landmark PSFS office building which is at the corner of S. 12th Street and Market Street East. The PSFS building has since been converted into a hotel. The closings of these two movie theatres left the Family Theatre at 1311 Market Street East (since closed) as the only movie theatre remaining on Market Street East.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.