Comments from dallasmovietheaters

Showing 376 - 400 of 5,936 comments

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Venetian Theatre on Feb 28, 2026 at 12:15 pm

Correction: Opening paragraph should be:

The first theater to open in the 1889-built Puterbaugh Block was the Bijou Theatre. Advertised as located in the building’s “North Side” (303 South Main St.), the Bijou opened March 16, 1907 with a sloping floor and opera chairs. As an early nickelodeon, it played movies and illustrated songs for five cents admission. This likely meant that it had only one projector with song slides as filler between the short one reel films. On June 12, 1911, new operator George W. Slick took on the venue as the Billiken Theatre. Its last advertised show was on December 2, 1911. It would reopen a month later under a new name, likely using both sides of the Puterbaugh Block’s main floor.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Del-Van Theatre on Feb 26, 2026 at 1:58 pm

The Del-Van Theatre Adult Film Club closed on August 27, 1983 with a double feature of “Deep Throat” and “Debbie Does Dallas, Part II” - a classy exit.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about State Theater on Feb 26, 2026 at 10:20 am

Opened August 8, 1940 with “That’s Right – You’re Wrong.”

Miller Theaters reduced the State to a second-run, discount $1.50 theater; it closed May 26, 1988 with “Salsa.” The State was ostensibly replaced by the three-screen, Miller’s Encore Park 1, 2 & 3 Theatres

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Holiday Theatre on Feb 25, 2026 at 10:30 pm

Became the Holiday 1 & 2 Theatre on December 27, 1985.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Cinemaworld Lincoln Mall 16 on Feb 25, 2026 at 9:49 pm

Announced closing date as February 28, 2026

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Garden Oaks Theater on Feb 25, 2026 at 9:44 pm

Demolition fence drew protests in February 2026. Definitely closed.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Cinema 1 on Feb 22, 2026 at 8:03 am

This entry serves two different buildings. There were two Orpheums in downtown Elkhart and then the Cinema 1 replaced the second Orph. The first was in a converted retail building operating from 1910 into 1913. The second was architected by Freyermuth & Maurer in South Bend and it was built for vaudeville. It was a new-build facility with previous 19th Century retail structures razed to make space. George J. Hoffman hired C.J. Allardt of South Bend. The Elks Lodge got to host and stage the first event on November 20, 1913.

Programming took a turn toward film though the vaudeville signage etched into its front would remain until demolition. A Seeburg-Smith 2 manual organ was installed and dedicated on July 4, 1920 replacing the venue’s original organ with Frederick Eugene Karch at the console. The venue On August 22, 1930, Warner Bros. Theatre Circuit of New York took on the Lerner, Orph and Bucklen in Elkhart and the Jefferson and Lincoln in Goshen. That likely carried a new 20 year lease. Under a new ownership arrangement, it was given a major refresh in 1934.

At halfway point of its probably lease - Summer of 1940 - the Orpheum got its most significance, major interior and exterior streamline moderne makeover that it pretty much carried until 1969. The venue was converted to widescreen to play VistaVision titles in 1955 and, later, CinemaScope titles with Hi-Fi audio. Miller Theatres decided to close the Orpheum Theatre on February 1, 1969 and demolish it in favor of a new adult-only theater. This would mean mature themed, R-rated films and X-Rated titles.

The new Cinema I was ready to go on July 23, 1969 with many era-acceptable elements - including gaudy Maria Theresa chandeliers, moving feature attractor on the exterior, leopard skin carpeting, an Italian-themed fountain, and lots Palos Verdes stone. GKC took on the venue closing it in 1991.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Bucklen Theater on Feb 21, 2026 at 11:43 am

Warner Brothers of New York Circuit took on the Bucklen Theatre in 1930 on a new, 25-year leasing agreement. It closed it soon thereafter for a major refresh. It reopened February 8, 1931 with “The Right of Way.” It closed at end of lease after showtimes on August 13, 1955 with “Short Grass” and “China Sky.” It was closed for remodeling and became home for department chain, the Boston Store.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Hollywood Connection on Feb 21, 2026 at 7:38 am

Grand opening on December 19, 1997. Maybe ahead of its time, the FEC was dropped less than three years later.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Lincoln Theatre on Feb 21, 2026 at 7:19 am

The Lincoln Theatre opened in 1920 and its formative years were under Gavin Blair McElroy of Fitzpatrick and McElroy Circuit. Oscar Hansen took on the venue in 1926 unable to convert it sound later that decade. He sold it and the Jefferson to Warner Bros. Theatres of New York in 1930.

The Circuit put all of its refresh money to the Jefferson closing the Lincoln and dropping the lease. Floyd and Archie Robinson closed their nearby Circle Theatre and reopened the Lincoln on October 1, 1933. A year later Universal sued the Robinsons who transferred the operation to Jack Rose in 1934.

The venue appears to have received a new 20-year lease in 1940 along with a major streamline moderne makeover. The venue closed in the television era. The building was torn down in the Fall of 1969 in favor of parking.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Bel-Mar Drive-In on Feb 19, 2026 at 4:32 pm

The Belvidere-Marengo or Bel-Mar Drive-In completed its 20-year leasing agreement on October 21, 1973 and went out in style with a triple-feature: “Crypt of the Living Dead” and “Fearless Fighter” supported by “Hercules & The Captive Women.” (And, yes, it was still open in 1957 if that was in question.)

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Cineplex Cinemas Miramichi on Feb 16, 2026 at 9:49 pm

Reached the end of its 25-year leasing agreement announcing closure of April 23, 2026.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Polo Theatre on Feb 15, 2026 at 11:27 am

Changeover from Lyric to Polo on August 14, 1924 along with “a new coat of paint” according to reports.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Carroll Theatre on Feb 15, 2026 at 11:14 am

Totally guessing here but the town definitely had the Mt. Carroll Opera House built in the late 19th Century and switching almost completely full-time to movies. Since the venue obviously wasn’t built for films or having a much-needed fireproof projection booth, it was replaced.

So the town had the Majestic Theatre and it had the Carroll Theatre. Based on the reportage, it looks like the Mt. Carroll Opera House played films into 1920. A new Mt. Carroll Theatre space was created for the silent era and marketed as the Mt. Carroll Theatre in 1920 but becoming the sound-era Majestic Theatre in 1930.

The Marchesi Bros. upgraded the venue to sound on film in 1939 and likely gave it a streamline refresh in the same building in 1940 becoming the Carroll Theatre. The Carroll Theatre closed suddenly on May 11, 1960 at the end of a second, 20-year leasing agreement. The final film was “Suddenly Last Summer.” The venue was then converted that summer for bowling alley-centric purposes.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Wilkes Barre Drive-In on Feb 15, 2026 at 10:14 am

aka W.B. Drive-In and W-B Drive-In

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Roxy Theatre on Feb 15, 2026 at 8:54 am

Harry A. Prawat of South Bend, Indiana, launched the Roxy Theatre in 1934. Butterfield Circuit, which had formerly entered into a JOA with Sturgis' dominant New Strand Theatre (though undoubtedly bankrolling its construction and conversion to sound), purchased the Roxy in November of 1935 from Prawat to end the competition. Butterfield could use it fulltime or part-time in overflow and peak periods.

Butterfield appears to have operated the Roxy to its closure at the expiry of a 20-year leasing agreement in 1954. Competition from television and the creation of a competing, seasonal drive-in ended any thoughts of a leasing renewal.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Strand Theatre on Feb 15, 2026 at 8:41 am

You can leave the Bryan Krefft contribution as is above. A deeper dive appears to show this address was the former site of Newman’s Theatre - likely the Crystal. But the original site of the Strand was over at the J.F. Walton-built, multi-use building opening on November 25, 1915. Monier & Grubb opened the original Strand Theatre which launched with vaudeville on Thanksgiving and seated 600 in the Walton Block.

In 1919, the Strand was taken over by Carl C. Newman of Newman’s Theatre undoubtedly the Crystal prior. He had come from Charlotte, Michigan’s Arcade Theatre owned by Charlotte Newman until her death shortly after childbirth in 1917. Newman operated what became Newman’s Theatre as well as the Strand with the Strand switching to full-time movies. As the Strand was reaching the expiry of its 10-year lease, the movie house had proved to be a major hit.

Newman decided to demolish the 1912-built, 333-seat venue. With plans drawn up by architect Ernest S. Batterson, it would become the site of the larger, 1,000-seat New Strand Theatre. Contractor Frank L. Shoemaker delivered the venue on time. Newman added sound to remain viable. The former Strand location at the Walton Block became a long-running JC Penney Store. There were formal discussions with Butterfield in 1925 likely explaining how Newman had the vision and wherewithal to make such a bold play.

The New Strand would add sound to remain viable - again likely with Butterfield bankrolling the cost of the effort. Newman finally announced a formal JOA with Butterfield Theatrical Syndicate at the 10-year mark in 1935 with Butterfield Circuit soon taking it over and dropping “New” from its moniker.

Butterfield switched the Strand to widescreen projection to remain viable. They would move on from the venue but the Strand proved to be a mainstay operating for 100 years in this location and 110 combining its previous iteration. The Strand closed on December 31, 2025 with “Avatar: Fire and Ash,” “The SpongeBob Movie: Search for SquarePants,” and Anaconda. It was listed for sale on a realtor’s website.

That appears to be a cleaner timeline though leaves a few gaps, as well.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about LaNar Theater on Feb 14, 2026 at 11:17 pm

Fred Good opened the art deco La-Nar Theatre (hyphenated) on June 8, 1937 with Joe. E. Brown in “When’s Your Birthday?” The venue celebrated its 18th birthday in style installing widescreen projection to project CInemaScope films starting with “Jupiter’s Darling."

Apparently, the response was not as good as hoped. So Good retired in 1955 traveling to Florida only to die en route. George and Elsie Croft relit the La-Nar in 1956. George ran the booth and Elsie the box office. The venue celebrated its 30th birthday on June 8, 1967 and closed permanently the next day at the end of its 30-year leasing agreement.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Times Theater on Feb 14, 2026 at 11:05 pm

July 28, 1942 shot of the Times Theatre grand opening in photos with “The Wife Takes a Flyer” playing on the big screen

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Luxe Theater on Feb 14, 2026 at 7:47 pm

Opened with the Ralph Ince directed “A Man’s Home” supported by a Mack Sennett comedy on January 18, 1922. East Peoria Mayor Jesse Hall delivered the opening remarks.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Lyons Theatre on Feb 14, 2026 at 3:29 pm

The Lyons opened on November 5, 1947 by Henry Leriger.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Capri Theatre III on Feb 14, 2026 at 8:22 am

Closed October 3, 2003 as the modern Clinton 8 was replacing it.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Capitol Theatre on Feb 14, 2026 at 8:09 am

The Capitol Theatre launched on December 7, 1928.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Tampico Theatre on Feb 14, 2026 at 7:54 am

Charles Burden of the local produce and grocery store, Burden’s Cash Store, opened Burden’s Opera House in 1898 at 102 Main Street on the building’s second floor. Movies were shown as early as December of 1904 by traveling moving picture show operators. In May of 1912, he installed projectors showing movies twice a week. He and wife Catherine Conroy moved to Portland selling the venue to new operators. By 1923, the Opera House was operating as a full-time movie house closing in January of 1928 likely at the end of a 30-year lease.

The venue reopened in a ground floor, converted retail structure now known as the Tampico Theatre in 1928 at 121 South Main Street. It closed in June of 1930 apparently not equipped for sound. After being used for live events, it eventually made a transition to sound films and definitely sound on film technology in 1934. It closed after a February 27, 1938 fire damaged the building. It was redecorated for its reboot over three months later by then-owner J.A. Dauntler. A film explosion in February of 1946 again closed the venue. The townspeople created the Tampico Theatre Corporation to salvage and repair the theatre. It relaunched on August 2, 1946 after a refresh.

The Tampico received an upgrade by Asael Tonkinson in 1950. The Tampico Theatre Corporation’s stewardship of the venue ended on October 11, 1958 after a showing of “Restless Breed” in a dissolution followed by an auction of its Simplex projectors, a Manley 47 popper, 240 seats, and more in early 1959. In 1962, the venue was converted by Robert E. Schmitt to the Schmitt Furniture & Appliance Store. This building burned down in a September 30, 1979 fire. The original Burden Opera House carried on as a produce retail location but was later demolished.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters commented about Town Theatre on Feb 13, 2026 at 10:12 am

The New Town Theatre was opened by Marchesi Bros. after as a streamline moderne moviehouse on March 25, 1937 at 212 Washington Street. The previous Prophet Theatre closed after the Jan. 1, 1937 showtimes. Vitrolite glass front with black and ivory captured the era and new seats reduced count to 350. It was housed in the venerable Odd Fellows Lodge building. Ivan Whitver was in charge. This was formerly Shloe’s Hall showing silent movies, the Dreamland Hall / Dreamland Hall Theatre also with movies in the silent era, and Sinnissippi Hall (live events).

The other former venue in town was the Prophet Theatre at 351 Washington which as the sound era name for Prophet’s Auditorium Theater which opened in the 1920s. Joseph J. Dauntler refreshed the venue reopening as the Prophet Theatre on July 8, 1930 with disc-based sound. In 1933, Western Electric sound replaced the previous system. The Marchesis modernization was said to be a new construction in some reports - likely just in planning - but definitely opening in the existing Odd Fellows Building in all other reports at 212 Wash.

The Town reached its 30th Anniversary with its new look under Mrs. Vesta Visitow’s watch. But a year later, it had a rough night when the venue was gutted by fire on January 6, 1968. The final film to play was Cornell Wilde on January 5th with “Beach Red.” The scheduled film the night of the fire was destroyed prior to showtimes: “A Rough Night in Jericho.” The building was razed about a month later.