Showing 26 - 50 of 63 comments
Closed for COVID-19 in March 23, 2020, the Shady Brook reopened on May 27, 2020 but closed again on July 5, 2020. It reopened a final time beginning on August 21, 2020 and closing permanently on December 27, 2020 followed by a final goodbye yard sale and auction to get rid of the leftover loose items in the theatre.
The work of architect Aymar Embury II and builder J.A. McPherson are the reasons that the Pinehurst Theatre is a significant accomplishment and likely why it still stands to this day. The $80,000 theatre presented a challenge on its odd shaped lot. But Embury was up to the task creating a hexagonal theatre which resembled a town meeting hall. Four retail spaces and a bachelor apartment in the loge added to the commercial viability of the theater which launched on February 26, 1923.
Under the same operator for its first 35 years of operation by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Picquet, the Pinehurst was seen as an innovator in helping Hollywood address the issues associated with sound systems in theatre built for silent films. The Sandhills resort area also drew top live talent including Will Rogers, Gloria Swanson and John Philip Sousa. The Pinehurst even switched to an assigned seating road show concept in 1940 as the area was a resort drawing from the upper echelon of the East Coast and New England areas. Margaret Truman appeared in a play in 1962 but the venue was done at the terminus of two 20-year lease cycles. It would be converted fully for retail purposes.
The $100,000 Santa Anita Theatre opened May 14, 1942 in close proximity to the famed Santa Anita Park race track. The theatre was built by Steed Bros. with architectural plans by Walter M. Bostock of Huntington Park. Its covered colonnade got people from the 450-spot parking lot to the theater. It got a facelift in 1962 likely coinciding with the end of a 20-year lease cycle.
The theater closed on November 6, 1966 for another refurbishing reopening as Cinemaland in 1967. It closed again in 1972 reopening as the New Cinemaland as subrun discount house in 1975. That appears to have ended on December 31, 1975.
In January of 1977, the city discussed but rejected a concept to turn the vacant facility into a municipal auditorium sealing its fate. It was razed later in 1977 projected to make way for the Engineering-Science Inc. corporate headquarters.
The original Cinema National University Mall Cinema 1-2-3 opened October 18, 1974. In 1976, United Artists took on the location. In February of 1979 UA doubled the screen count to the unwieldy UA University Mall 1, 2, 3 & 4, 5 6. In 1982, a two-screen theatre called the Cinema Tavern opened adjacent to the University Mall with two screens.
UA would expand again with an 8-screen theatre called University North and the older theatre called University South. The Silver Screen, a four-screen discount house behind the mall opened possibly in the Cinema Tavern spot – but perhaps not. The UA would close the older theatre which became a live venue for a brief period while the larger theatre would become the University Mall Dollar Movies 8 under Teicher and closing in 2008. It became a house of worship before being demolished.
The Airport Drive-In opened on April 17, 1954 with owner J. Robert Hoff making a grand opening statement on KBON radio with announcer Ed Morgan hosting. The opening film was “Beneath the 12-Mile Reef.” The 70-foot curved screen allowed for CinemaScope and with stereo sound at launch, patrons used a blue speaker on the driver side and a grey speaker on the passenger side. The 750-spot drive-in also had sit-down capability for walk-ins.
Its final owner Douglas Theatre Company Circuit took it to closure as the Capri drive-in shuttering on September 20, 1972. It has subsequently been demolished.
February 28, 1953 was the last day for the Dream Theatre going out in a blaze of glory.
Ads begin in July of 1910 and structure was a converted storage facility named the Louisiana Storage Company operating from 1901 to 1909.
Dates incorrect (that’s a different Globe Theatre). This one was still going in 1969 and likely an African American Theatre. Converted to retail by 1973.
The original Bank Theatre opened in a bank on March 27, 1912 at 16 S. Main. It moved to new digs within a bank building launching in the 328-332 S. Main facility on December 9, 1917 with “The Price Mark.” In August of 1923, the Bank Theatre became the State Theatre.
Always a subrun double feature house, the State had its biggest run with the Gene Tunney v. Jack Dempsey fight in 1927. With demolition occurring nearby, the low point came when the ceiling crashed down August 13, 1947 when “The Man from Texas” was playing. Only four of 50 patrons were injured. The theatre finally ended its run in August of 1950.
After being known as the Hauber Annex Theatre from 1941 to late 1946, Otto C. Hauber sold of the original Hauber Theatre closing November 17, 1946 after a ten-year run at 635 Main Street. This theatre listed at 621 Main Street changed its name to the Hauber Theatre which was its name from November 17, 1946 to its quick sale on May 30, 1950. Upon closing for a remodel, it reopened.
Within two months, Charles P. Morel – who had operated theMoon Theatre in Alexandria from 1937-9) opened the venue in July of 1950. A refurbishing of the projection booth didn’t pay out in February of 1956 as a fire gutting the interior ended the location’s run as a movie theatre on February 8, 1956. It was retrofitted as a retail operation.
(Minutiae: Though the correct address of this theatre in Alexandria is, indeed, 637 Main Street, it does so despite the fact that the neighboring building going uptown carries the lower 635 Main Street. The original Hauber building next door technically was 635-637 Main with 621 Main being this entry, the Hauber Annex. When the Hauber Annex turned Hauber, the address appears to have gotten fouled up.)
June 20, 1952 grand opening ads for the Joy Twin which maps well to 1615 MacArthur in Alexandria
The original Hauber Theatre by O.C. Hauber definitely closed November 17, 1946 after a ten-year run at 635 Main Street (barely seen at the far right of the shot in photos). Upon closing, the building was sold to Bill Moody and F.L. “Webb” Webster. They opened Webb & Bill’s Auto and Electric Store following a remodeling on March 7, 1947. The Hauber Annex changed to the Hauber Theatre on November 18, 1946 next door at 637 Main Street.
The Saenger closed June 30, 1950 playing “The Hills of Oklahoma” and was sold to Schwartzberg’s Department Store on July 12, 1950 which modified the theatre to expand its retail operation.
The original Rex Theatre opened December 7, 1911 in the Lund Building on Front Street as a motion picture house.
August 7, 1947 grand opening ad of the African American $60,000 Silver City Theatre in photos. The 700 seat theatre architects were Dunn & Quinn from Lake Charles. The theatre is liquidated in 1951 but finds a new operator reopening that same year. Ads stop after the shows on April 11, 1955 and is offered for sale. The theater could have continued without ads.
There was a race in Alexandria to see which of two new outdoor theatres could open first and, sadly for the Joy Drive-In, it finished second. The Joy did open but very late in the year on November 18, 1949 playing “Tulsa.” The Fox Drive-In was first to the tape opening July 8th of that same year. And the Joy was first to close in 1962 though it did host a movie-less fireworks show in 1963. The land was sold in 1966 with the theatre bulldozed.
The Fox Drive-In Theatre was named after its operator, Billy “Fox” Johnson who raced with the Joy Drive-In to see who could open first. Billy and the Fox won opening July 7, 1949 with “A Date With Judy” while the Joy opened months later in November.
In 1957, the operators of the downtown Don Theatre took on the Fox and renamed it the Don Drive-In. The theatre lasted into the video age.
Opened June 6, 1929, the Redwood was initially built for Paul H. Tessier and Pine Tree Amusement Circuit. It was apparently called the Redwood Theatre for its heavy use of redwood inside and out from the local sawmill. The Berenson Brothers, who were also building a theater in town, took on the theater prior to its completion.
Favrot and Livaudais were both architects and builders of the venue. The theatre was downgraded to five days a week operation and closed several times including a nearly two-year stretch. In 1942, it was modernized with cushioned seats, wood paneling and new marquee. It lasted into the television age
Opened March 8, 1929 for the Berenson Brothers Circuit. Lockett & Chachere were the architects. Simplex projection and Western Electric Sound were the choices for opening (though the latter was delayed). The $125,000 venue had a Reproducer pipe organ for its launch.
May 4, 1952 final day for the Bison in a protest over taxation.
Max Roche, architect
CC: Good question. The local paper reported that John T. Graham of Kansas City got permission from the War Production Board to transform an existing retail building owned by F.P Zbranek to what would become the Band Box Theatre. The short-lived Plaza Theatre was actually opened April 10, 1936 in the Odd Fellows Building on the East Side of the Square. The theatre looks to have gone out of business in 1937 and the building was severely damaged by a fire April 21, 1938.
The Fotosho (not Photosho) Theatre ads in Neosho from opening in 1921 to closing 1947 (upper left). This location of the Fotosho Theatre opened on September 30, 1922 in the Price Building on the South Side of the Neosho Square at 105 East Main Street. Its last show was “The Oklahoma Kid” on July 16, 1946. It was retrofitted for retail becoming the long-running Mode O'Day Clothing Store.
Grand opening as the Band Box Theatre was July 26, 1944. Closed again briefly reopening in 1948. When the Edgewood Drive-In opened, the Band Box was reduced to Winter usage only with its bookings at the ozoner. Appears to have closed April 3, 1954 perhaps at the end of a ten-year lease. After three years of inactivity, it became the new home to W.J. Hux Clothing Store in 1957. Proper name is “Band Box Theatre”