Comments from geoffjc

Showing 101 - 125 of 178 comments

geoffjc commented about Palace Cinema on Apr 11, 2009 at 1:45 am

A report of the demolition, with picture, can be found in the “South Wales Echo” dated 24 June 1994, page 16, under the title “Last Reel for a Screen Gem”.

geoffjc commented about County Cinema on Apr 10, 2009 at 1:23 pm

This was author Gary Wharton’s local cinema (Ribbon of Dreams- Remembering Cardiff Cinemas). He does not refer to Bingo or DIY, stating that it remained closed, and mentions local attempts to re-open it.
This correspondent travelled past the County every day for over twenty years and has no recollection of it being a DIY store, as he would have certainly called in to examine the remains of the County!
The last film, incidentally, was “Gold”, the poster remained on the hoarding for weeks after closure.

geoffjc commented about County Cinema on Apr 10, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Architect William S Wort, plans survive. Can you confirm the Bingo/DIY details?

geoffjc commented about Rialto Cinema on Apr 7, 2009 at 11:03 am

The architect of the Rialto was J.A.Sant, plans dated 1914, and unlike many others includes a drawing of the exterior elevation. A picture published some years after closure shows the building had altered little.
Advertisements of the cinema’s programme generally appeared with the Coliseum in the late 1950’s, but often only in Saturday’s paper.
A listing appeared on Thursday 11th June 1959 for the Thursday to Saturday show, including a Saturday matinee ,of “Carry on Nurse” and “Breakout”.
This appears to have been the last film advertised at the Rialto.

geoffjc commented about Coliseum Cinema on Apr 5, 2009 at 6:46 am

Research in newspapers of the time reveals that the Coliseum started Bingo in the summer of 1961, at first on three/four days a week but within a month had gone over totally to Bingo. Proprietor Rex Willis was interviewed about the huge success of Bingo and also tried introducing it in the previously closed Rialto and at the Globe, though these ventures were abandoned within a few weeks.The Globe survived for over 25 years as a cinema.

geoffjc commented about Rialto Cinema on Apr 2, 2009 at 9:41 am

Bingo at the Rialto was advertised in the local press for a short time when the success of Bingo at the Coliseum persuaded Rex Willis to reopen the Rialto for 3 day a week Bingo along with the Globe.
It doesn’t seem to have been a success as the adverts stopped soon afterwards and films returned full-time at the Globe, but almost at once the Coliseum became a full-time Bingo Hall, and the Jackson Withers Circuit increased the amount of Bingo in their local cinemas.

geoffjc commented about Plaza Cinema on Mar 29, 2009 at 9:57 am

Editha’s personal recollections of cinemas in South Wales are greatly appreciated by contributors to this site who have to rely on memories as paying patrons and archive research.

geoffjc commented about Gaumont Cardiff on Mar 28, 2009 at 10:36 am

There are a number of pictures of the Empire (as it was until 1952) in the Old Cardiff series of books and in the local library. Also architects' plans in the record office .

geoffjc commented about Romilly Cinema on Mar 27, 2009 at 10:00 am

Part of the balcony front has been incorporated into the new pub, otherwise not much to show what was there before.

geoffjc commented about Windsor Kinema on Mar 27, 2009 at 9:38 am

The closure of the Windsor Kinema in fact took place on 4th May 1958, announced a couple of days earlier in the local paper.The staff were moved to the Washington, just down the road.
The sale was reported in December 1958 and the site continues as a garage today.

geoffjc commented about Windsor Kinema on Mar 27, 2009 at 9:32 am

Examination of the local press reveals that the Windsor Kinema was built for Oliver Willmore and his company by local builder John Britton to a design by Lennox Roberston(sic) FRIBA, with seating for 800. The opening took place on Monday 2nd February 1914.
A picture of the building (“A Magnificent Structure”) is included in the report. Large windows could be opened to admit daylight and fresh air between performances in addition to electrically driven fans.
Ticket Prices in 1914 were;-Balcony (reserved) 1/–; Fauteuils 6d ; Stalls 4d; Pit 3d.
The Willmore Brothers had operated their Windsor Cinema for a while in an old building on the site.

geoffjc commented about Windsor Kinema on Mar 26, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Additional details and confirmed dates can be obtained from local newspapers archived locally and from several books on the history of Penarth.It is thought that the Willmore Brothers opened the Windsor Kinema some years before the date quoted, and the building is pictured in a local paper dated 1927.
The report of the sale to a garage proprietor appeared in late 1957.

geoffjc commented about Mysterious Odeon item on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Possibly from a cinema with a cafe/restaurant as many did at one time.

geoffjc commented about Romilly Cinema on Feb 17, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Currently being fitted out by Wetherspoons to open March 2009 as one of their many pubs in former cinema buildings.

geoffjc commented about Odeon Swansea on Dec 21, 2008 at 2:33 am

One of the surviving early multi-screen cinemas which serves to remind us how much cinema architecture,comfort, sight-lines, screen size , projection and sound quality have developed in the last 20 years.

geoffjc commented about Splott Cinema on Dec 16, 2008 at 8:54 am

In late 2008 the Splott continues as a Bingo hall, though under new management.Externally it remains substantially unchanged when compared with pictures published in the local press in 1930 after rebuilding.

geoffjc commented about Clifton Cinema on Dec 16, 2008 at 8:48 am

The future of this building which retains a few features from its early days as a cinema has been placed in doubt as a result of the problems of Woolworths, occupiers for more than 75 years.

geoffjc commented about Odeon Cardiff on Dec 16, 2008 at 8:39 am

Internal modifications have reduced the seating capacities providing the more expensive “gallery” areas.

geoffjc commented about Globe Cinema on Nov 23, 2008 at 12:48 pm

In November 2008 the former “Monroe” has been renamed “Globe” and opened as a live music venue.

geoffjc commented about Capitol Cinema on Nov 15, 2008 at 7:56 am

Local author Gary Wharton’s book “Capitol Days” published in October 2008 contains further information and anecdotal evidence based on his long standing interest in this cinema.

geoffjc commented about Washington Luxury Cinema on Oct 21, 2008 at 2:48 pm

In October 2008 work had begun to create a “Tesco Express” store in the building and publicity for the apartments previously planned had been removed.

geoffjc commented about Gala Pavilion Cinema on Sep 20, 2008 at 10:01 am

Further details of the early history of the Philharmonic Hall including drawings of the interior can be found in the “Western Mail” available at Cardiff Library on a searchable computer archive.
The building is currently undergoing external repair and is hidden by scaffolding (Sep 2008)

geoffjc commented about Canton Cinema on Sep 20, 2008 at 9:40 am

Some external repairs and new windows to the upper level in August 2008.

geoffjc commented about Chapter Arts Centre on Jun 22, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Building work and refurbishment starts today and will involve reduced performances and temporary closure of the cinemas for a time over the next few months. Check the centre’s web site for details.

geoffjc commented about Gaumont Cardiff on May 8, 2008 at 10:20 am

The local studies department at Cardiff Library has extracts from a published description of Milburn’s reconstruction of the Empire in 1915, with photographs.
See also “Victorian and Edwardian Theatres” by V. Glasstone (1975)

Local newspapers from the 1880’s reveal more about Professor Levino , a mesmerist,and his time in charge of the original theatre and the eventual takeover by Oswald Stoll.

Each time Lumiere presented his Cinematographe a larger screen was specified,(reportedly only 6feet square on the first occasion)

The frontage and internal decoration at the time the Gaumont closed was mostly from Milburn and Trent’s designs.