The Ambassador became a live venue house for popular pop and rock acts in mid-January 1974, beginning with Van Morrison. “That Man Bolt” was the last film screened at the Ambassador on January 16, 1974. The main reason why the Ambassador Theatre closed as a live music venue in May 1976 is because of unruly crowds. This was followed an incident at a ZZ Top concert where a pair of streakers disrupted the concert the previous month in April of that same year.
This was opened by Monarch Theatres, and was taken over by Associated Theatres in December 1981. Premiere Cinemas took it over in the mid-1980s, Cinemark took over the theater from Premiere on October 27, 1989, and operated the theater until September 3, 1991.
Once operated by Premiere Cinemas, taken over by Cinemark on October 27, 1989, and operated the theater until September 27, 1993. It was then taken over by independent ownership.
This first opened as the Cine 1 & 2 during the 1970s. It was operated by Tentelino Theatres. A third screen was later added by the late-1970s or early-1980s and became the Cine 1-2-3. Two more screens were added by the 1990s and became the Cine 5.
It was closed on February 28, 2023, and never reopened. An October 2024 Google Street View shows that the theater was already dead.
The Plaza Theatre closed in 2001. Nipigon also had an earlier house called the Palace Theatre which operated from the silent days and into World War II.
Heavily edited from my April 25, 2020 (6:19 PM) comment:
The Liberty Theatre operated as early as 1918. It was remodeled on October 10, 1931, and CinemaScope was installed in November 1954. It was twinned during the 1970s and was renamed Coquille Valley Cinema. It was closed in the early-1990s when the furnishings were sold to the Sawdusters for their nearby Roxy Theater that was gutted by a fire a few years later in July 1994.
Opened 1937, not 1947. The Roxy opened with Alice Faye in “You Can’t Have Everything” along with the Merrie Melodies cartoon “A Sunbonnet Blue” and Paramount News, featuring Western Electric Mirrophonic sound.
Opened with Yvonne DeCarlo in “Buccaneer’s Girl” along with the Bugs Bunny cartoon “Hair-Rising Hare”, the Warner Bros. Sports Parade “Holiday For Sports”, and a newsreel.
Renamed the Cascadian Theatre on October 1, 1937 after extensive remodeling, reopening with Ronald Colman in “The Prisoner Of Zenda” along with Pathe News, an unnamed musical short, and an unnamed cartoon.
The Star Theatre opened on June 1, 1912. It was first operated by Bryon Moore and managed by George Simmons, which Simmons at the time arranged with the General Film Company to furnish “Licensed Pictures”.
This theater was the replacement of two movie theaters that were named Cave City Theatre. After the first Cave City Theatre was destroyed by a fire on October 11, 1946, a backup movie theater opened nearby with the same name. While the backup was still in operation, the M&R (Musil and Roberts) Theater company constructed the quonset hut theater with an estimate $35,000, opening as the “? Theatre” on June 14, 1947 with Rosalind Russell in “Sister Kenny” along with an unnamed Popeye cartoon and a newsreel.
Throughout the first three months of operation, it was named the “? Theatre” because the M&R chain didn’t give out a name for the theater. It wasn’t until September 29, 1947 when a special theater-naming contest award announcement was held after a screening of “Home Sweet Homicide”, and the theater was immediately renamed the Ivy Theatre after the ceremony.
The Sunset Theatre briefly became a haunted house in October 1975 but immediately returned to screening movies afterward. The theater closed for a brief time in March 1976 for remodeling, and reopened as the Sandy Cinema on June 9, 1976 by W.E. “Bill” Davis.
The Sandy Cinema received a brief closure again from November 8, 1977 until reopening on May 5, 1978 after being purchased by John Kent, a Chicagoan native and newspaperman who also worked for a lumber and hardware store in the town with the popular unusual name of Boring. After reopening again, it was renamed the Sandy Theatre, not to be confused with an earlier Sandy Theatre nearby that operated from July 1946 until February 1958.
The theater was still operating into the mid-1980s, although its closing date remains unconfirmed.
Operated as early as 1929.
1954, actually.
Not to be confused with a later Sandy Theatre (formerly the Sunset Theatre and later Sandy Cinema), which began using the exact name in 1978.
The Ambassador became a live venue house for popular pop and rock acts in mid-January 1974, beginning with Van Morrison. “That Man Bolt” was the last film screened at the Ambassador on January 16, 1974. The main reason why the Ambassador Theatre closed as a live music venue in May 1976 is because of unruly crowds. This was followed an incident at a ZZ Top concert where a pair of streakers disrupted the concert the previous month in April of that same year.
A lumber fire destroyed the ticket booth on August 3, 1946.
This was opened by Monarch Theatres, and was taken over by Associated Theatres in December 1981. Premiere Cinemas took it over in the mid-1980s, Cinemark took over the theater from Premiere on October 27, 1989, and operated the theater until September 3, 1991.
Once operated by Premiere Cinemas, taken over by Cinemark on October 27, 1989, and operated the theater until September 27, 1993. It was then taken over by independent ownership.
Taken over by Cinemark on October 27, 1989.
First known as Southgate Cinema 4, later Southgate Cinema 8.
Once operated by Tom Moyer’s Luxury Theatres, later Act III.
Once operated by Tom Moyer’s Luxury Theatres.
Never operated by United Amusement Corp., Ltd.
This first opened as the Cine 1 & 2 during the 1970s. It was operated by Tentelino Theatres. A third screen was later added by the late-1970s or early-1980s and became the Cine 1-2-3. Two more screens were added by the 1990s and became the Cine 5.
It was closed on February 28, 2023, and never reopened. An October 2024 Google Street View shows that the theater was already dead.
The Plaza Theatre closed in 2001. Nipigon also had an earlier house called the Palace Theatre which operated from the silent days and into World War II.
Heavily edited from my April 25, 2020 (6:19 PM) comment:
The Liberty Theatre operated as early as 1918. It was remodeled on October 10, 1931, and CinemaScope was installed in November 1954. It was twinned during the 1970s and was renamed Coquille Valley Cinema. It was closed in the early-1990s when the furnishings were sold to the Sawdusters for their nearby Roxy Theater that was gutted by a fire a few years later in July 1994.
Opened 1937, not 1947. The Roxy opened with Alice Faye in “You Can’t Have Everything” along with the Merrie Melodies cartoon “A Sunbonnet Blue” and Paramount News, featuring Western Electric Mirrophonic sound.
Opened with Yvonne DeCarlo in “Buccaneer’s Girl” along with the Bugs Bunny cartoon “Hair-Rising Hare”, the Warner Bros. Sports Parade “Holiday For Sports”, and a newsreel.
Renamed the Cascadian Theatre on October 1, 1937 after extensive remodeling, reopening with Ronald Colman in “The Prisoner Of Zenda” along with Pathe News, an unnamed musical short, and an unnamed cartoon.
W.H. Hibbert opened the Gay-Way Theatre on December 13, 1939 with Victor McLaglen in “Captain Fury” (unknown if extras added).
The Star Theatre opened on June 1, 1912. It was first operated by Bryon Moore and managed by George Simmons, which Simmons at the time arranged with the General Film Company to furnish “Licensed Pictures”.
Most likely opened on July 17, 1921.
This theater was the replacement of two movie theaters that were named Cave City Theatre. After the first Cave City Theatre was destroyed by a fire on October 11, 1946, a backup movie theater opened nearby with the same name. While the backup was still in operation, the M&R (Musil and Roberts) Theater company constructed the quonset hut theater with an estimate $35,000, opening as the “? Theatre” on June 14, 1947 with Rosalind Russell in “Sister Kenny” along with an unnamed Popeye cartoon and a newsreel.
Throughout the first three months of operation, it was named the “? Theatre” because the M&R chain didn’t give out a name for the theater. It wasn’t until September 29, 1947 when a special theater-naming contest award announcement was held after a screening of “Home Sweet Homicide”, and the theater was immediately renamed the Ivy Theatre after the ceremony.
Closed in 1962.
The Sunset Theatre briefly became a haunted house in October 1975 but immediately returned to screening movies afterward. The theater closed for a brief time in March 1976 for remodeling, and reopened as the Sandy Cinema on June 9, 1976 by W.E. “Bill” Davis.
The Sandy Cinema received a brief closure again from November 8, 1977 until reopening on May 5, 1978 after being purchased by John Kent, a Chicagoan native and newspaperman who also worked for a lumber and hardware store in the town with the popular unusual name of Boring. After reopening again, it was renamed the Sandy Theatre, not to be confused with an earlier Sandy Theatre nearby that operated from July 1946 until February 1958.
The theater was still operating into the mid-1980s, although its closing date remains unconfirmed.
The Film Daily Yearbook appears to be wrong. The Colonial Theatre operated as early as 1937 and was still running as the Colonial into the late-1970s.
The Savoy Theatre closed during the early-2010s and was converted into a fitness center following extensive remodeling.