Showing 1 - 25 of 59 comments
James Rupert Miller was the second architect listed in the 1926 architectural plans and renderings.
Closed permanently on November 26, 2023
Current status: Renovating with a target December 2024 reopening by Forest Forward, a group conducting a $75 million renovation.
Regal opened March 14, 1997 but, in economic difficulty, closed after the October 27, 2002 showtimes. Coliseum Central took on both this location and the Gloucester location - this one under the name of YRC Riverdale Coliseum 12 - with showtimes on November 1, 2002.
The operators exited the Coliseum in 2005 though remaining in Gloucester. Cinema Cafe took over in 2005 as the Cinema Cafe - Riverdale 12. After renaiming it slightly as the Hampton Cinema Cafe at Riverdale 12, Cinema Cafe departed at the end of lease on October 30, 2023 leaving the group with five locations. The folks at EVO Entertainment’s Peninsula Town Center stepped up by honoring all Peninsula Cinema Cafe Movie Passes.
Renamed as America Cinemas de Houston
Last day announced as September 17, 2023. The theatre had switched back to a first run policy for its final years of operation.
Last day announced as September 17, 2023
Last day announced as September 5, 2023.
Closed permanently as the Reel Northgate Theatre on August 3, 2023.
Closing July 30, 2023
July 20, 2023 announced as its final day
Announced a July 26, 2023 closure
Final day of operation is July 20, 2023.
Last day as a Regal is July 26, 2023. Has been acquired by Cinemark which will relaunch.
Closed July 9, 2023
Regal posted the closing of the Regal New Albany as July 26, 2023 .
Regal posted the closing of the Regal Bedford 7 as July 20, 2023 .
Regal posted the closing of the Regal Tall City as July 20, 2023 .
Regal posted its Regal Grand Parkway closing date of July 26, 2023.
Regal posted the closing of the Regal Jewel as July 20, 2023 .
Closed for COVID-19 in March 23, 2020, the Shady Brook reopened on May 27, 2020 but closed again on July 5, 2020. It reopened a final time beginning on August 21, 2020 and closing permanently on December 27, 2020 followed by a final goodbye yard sale and auction to get rid of the leftover loose items in the theatre.
The work of architect Aymar Embury II and builder J.A. McPherson are the reasons that the Pinehurst Theatre is a significant accomplishment and likely why it still stands to this day. The $80,000 theatre presented a challenge on its odd shaped lot. But Embury was up to the task creating a hexagonal theatre which resembled a town meeting hall. Four retail spaces and a bachelor apartment in the loge added to the commercial viability of the theater which launched on February 26, 1923.
Under the same operator for its first 35 years of operation by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Picquet, the Pinehurst was seen as an innovator in helping Hollywood address the issues associated with sound systems in theatre built for silent films. The Sandhills resort area also drew top live talent including Will Rogers, Gloria Swanson and John Philip Sousa. The Pinehurst even switched to an assigned seating road show concept in 1940 as the area was a resort drawing from the upper echelon of the East Coast and New England areas. Margaret Truman appeared in a play in 1962 but the venue was done at the terminus of two 20-year lease cycles. It would be converted fully for retail purposes.
The $100,000 Santa Anita Theatre opened May 14, 1942 in close proximity to the famed Santa Anita Park race track. The theatre was built by Steed Bros. with architectural plans by Walter M. Bostock of Huntington Park. Its covered colonnade got people from the 450-spot parking lot to the theater. It got a facelift in 1962 likely coinciding with the end of a 20-year lease cycle.
The theater closed on November 6, 1966 for another refurbishing reopening as Cinemaland in 1967. It closed again in 1972 reopening as the New Cinemaland as subrun discount house in 1975. That appears to have ended on December 31, 1975.
In January of 1977, the city discussed but rejected a concept to turn the vacant facility into a municipal auditorium sealing its fate. It was razed later in 1977 projected to make way for the Engineering-Science Inc. corporate headquarters.
The original Cinema National University Mall Cinema 1-2-3 opened October 18, 1974. In 1976, United Artists took on the location. In February of 1979 UA doubled the screen count to the unwieldy UA University Mall 1, 2, 3 & 4, 5 6. In 1982, a two-screen theatre called the Cinema Tavern opened adjacent to the University Mall with two screens.
UA would expand again with an 8-screen theatre called University North and the older theatre called University South. The Silver Screen, a four-screen discount house behind the mall opened possibly in the Cinema Tavern spot – but perhaps not. The UA would close the older theatre which became a live venue for a brief period while the larger theatre would become the University Mall Dollar Movies 8 under Teicher and closing in 2008. It became a house of worship before being demolished.