1217 W. 3rd Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Gustave A. Niehus
Styles: Spanish Renaissance
The Mecca theater opened on August 26, 1914 at a cost of $30,000. The architectural design was reminiscent of the Renaissance period, with two large castle like towers on each side of the entrance. Each tower sported an electrical marquee with the word “Mecca” spelled out in large letters. The auditorium and the interior of the building was decorated in white and green, with ivory white ceilings, tan colored walls and Spanish leather wainscot (plank paneling).
Movies were shown on the screen in a black velvet shadow box, which was specially constructed from over 150 feet of a special velvet. The front row of seats sat back twenty-three feet from the screen so that patrons forced to sit in the front row could see the entire projected picture in comfort. By the late 1930’s the Mecca Theater had become a second run theater. it continued this policy until it closed on July 27, 1952.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.