43 S. Broadway,
20 people favorited this theater
Broadway Theatre (Official)
Architects: Louis Magaziner
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: Capitol Theatre
News About This Theater
- Oct 29, 2008 — Are any theaters seeking an experienced manager?
- Sep 29, 2008 — "Bride of Frankenstein" at Broadway
- Aug 15, 2008 — Free "Raiders" screening at Broadway 8/22
- Oct 29, 2007 — Halloween Fun at the Broadway
- Aug 22, 2007 — A tribute to South Jersey movie houses
- Apr 22, 2005 — Donations Accepted for Broadway in Pitman, NJ
The Broadway Theatre has operated continously since it opened in May, 1926 as a fully equipped movie and vaudeville theater with 1,090 seats. This capacity includes the balcony and eight boxes.
The opulent theater was created in a French Revival motif by the Philadelphia firm of Eberhand, Magaziner, and Harris. Much of its original cast plaster detail remains intact and the original molds remain on the premises. Virtually all of the original decorative elements remain in the theater. However, the wall lighting sconces were replaced with Deco fixtures during the 1930’s. Some of the original lighting fixtures remain and could be used as models for restoration.
There are also two crystal chandeliers in the house and one in the inner lobby. Approximately 60 percent of the original seats on the main floor were replaced in 1960, however, the balcony retained its original seating. The original fire curtain and other stage equipment have remained in the building and some remain in use today. There is also a small orchestra pit, four private dressing rooms, a common room, two bathrooms, and a pipe organ blower room in the basement.
In fact, the Broadway still has its original theatre pipe organ. The 3/8 Kimball in the Broadway is, for its size, a unique instrument. The Southern Jersey Theatre Organ Society is fully restoring the Kimball. The return of the Kimball to concert status will be an important event to theatre organ enthusiasts.
The Broadway, which at one point was also known as the Capitol, painted the inner lobby in the 1960’s and 1970’s with little regard for the original colors. The original vertical marquee with individual lamps spelling BROADWAY was also changed to the current neon lit canopy marquee at an undetermined date.
The theater continues on today as the pride of Pitman and continues to delight audiences from around the area with movies and live performances. Renovation work was completed in 2002.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.