104 S. Court Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Fox Circuit
Firms: Swartz, Hotchin, and Swartz
Previous Names: West Coast Theatre Visalia
The Theatre Visalia opened in December 1914 and was a conversion of the old Armory building which was built in 1889. It was located on the corner of W. Acequia Avenue and S. Court Street.
Initially owned and operated as an independent by A. Levis, Susman Mitchell and W.R. Spaulding, it was taken over by William Fox in late-1928. By 1st January 1929 the Fox Theatre Visalia was screening ‘talkies’. By then, plans were made to build a new Fox Theatre to replace the existing theatre (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
It was announced in November 1929 that Sunday vaudeville performances would be suspended for a few weeks until the new Visalia Fox Theatre opened. However building work on the new theatre was running slightly behind schedule and it wasn’t until 26th February 1930 that the old Fox Theatre Visalia closed for good. The final film shown was “It’s A Great Life” starring The Duncan Sisters.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.