350 N. State Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Redwood Theatres Inc.
Previous Names: Victory Theatre
Opened as the Victory Theatre on February 6, 1914, this theatre was very simplistic in design. It was renamed State Theatre on March 14, 1923.
As happened at many others of this time, until the 1940’s, and the ending of segregation, Native Americans were only allowed to sit in the theatre’s balcony. The State Theatre was operated by Redwood Theatres prior to 1941
The theatre closed on March 19, 1948 when the building was condemned. The nearby Ukiah Theatre had been opened by Redwood Theatres. At the time, the building was converted into use as a grocery store, called the State Market.
In the late-1970’s, most of the theatre was demolished to make way for a new office building. As an homage to the theatre which formerly sat on its site, the building was named after the Victory Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.