Victoria Station Cartoon Cinema
Buckingham Palace Road,
7 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Classic Cinemas (UK)
Architects: Alister Gladstone MacDonald
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Victoria Station News Theatre
Located adjacent to Platform 19 on the Buckingham Palace Road side of Victoria Railway Station in the centre of London. The Victoria Station News Theatre was opened on 12th September 1933. A quite amazing little cinema positioned over the concourse of the station with just a small but highly stylized entrance paybox and staircase at ground floor level leading to the 1st floor auditorium.
This contained a single flat floor with seating divided into three blocks - two outer with 4 seats per row and a central block of 7 seats per row.
The auditorium was barrel shaped with an attractive proscenium and a large clock on the left hand side. The whole was specially insulated against noise and vibration from the railway station outside.
It never moved on to presenting feature films - one major drawback was that it had no toilets of its own (patrons had to come down the stairs, exit the cinema and walk a few yards to the public toilets on the railway station concourse).
Operated by the Classic Cinemas chain, the Victoria Station News Theatre was one of several small newsreel theatres in London and in later years showed continuous 1-hour programmes of short subjects and cartoons. It was quietly closed on 27th August 1981 with the Walt Disney short cartoon “The Hound That Thought He Was a Racoon” and an edition of Movietone News featuring the 1937 Coronation. It was later demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.