Crawford Theatre

209 S. Topeka Street,
Wichita, KS 67202

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Sullivan Independent Theatres

Architects: Carl Boller, Robert O. Boller

Firms: Boller Brothers

Previous Names: New Crawford Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Crawford Theatre

The New Crawford Theatre opened on October 2, 1911. It replaced an earlier Crawford Theatre and was located on Topeka Street near Williams Street. The 800-seat theatre was named after a late-19th century Crawford Theatre which had been a legitimate house. Later, the New Crawford Theatre became just the Crawford Theatre. It was later remodeled by the architectural firm Boller Brothers. It was closed on January 2, 1956 with James Mason in “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” & Betty Grable in “Three for the Show”.

It was demolished in February 1956 and a parking lot is on the site today.

Contributed by Bryan

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

raybradley on December 10, 2006 at 12:39 pm

In that 1952 photo of the Crawford Theatre, does anyone know if that corner oil well was functional?

missmelbatoast on December 16, 2006 at 10:36 pm

A brief history and a vintage photo of the Crawford can be found on the below link;

View link

seymourcox on May 24, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Here is an updated web link with Crawford Theatre history and images,
View link

Lyndon on November 22, 2018 at 5:55 am

Here is a story about the Crawford.

DavidZornig on June 20, 2020 at 4:13 pm

Circa 1956 photo added courtesy Dennis Copp‎.

dallasmovietheaters on November 6, 2022 at 8:10 am

The Crawford Theater’s final show was Walt Disney’s “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” and Betty Grable in “Three for the Show” on January 2, 1956. A salvage sale started the day after with a treasure trove of hidden ephemera uncovered prior to the theater’s demolition. The local press opined that the Crawford’s two biggest blows occurred when talkies were installed in Wichita in 1928 leading to the live venue’s conversion from top tier live showplace to second-tier movie house in 1930 and the demolition ball that crushed the venue in February of 1956.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.