103-111 Notting Hill Gate,
12 people favorited this theater
Coronet Theatre (Official)
Architects: William George Robert Sprague
Functions: Live Theatre
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: Gaumont Theatre, Gaumont Notting Hill, Coronet Cinema, Coronet Printroom
- Gate Picturehouse
- 20th Century Theatre
- Coronet Cinema
- International Film Theatre
- Electric Cinema - Portobello
News About This Theater
Located in the west London inner-city district of Notting Hill. Opened as the Coronet Theatre (a playhouse) in 1898 with 1,143 seats located in stalls, balcony and gallery. It went over to screening films full time in 1923 and the boxes on each side of the proscenium were removed. In 1931 it was taken over by Gaumont British Theatres/Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT) and re-opened on 17th August 1931 with 1,010 seats. It was equipped with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system and the proscenium was 23ft wide.
It was re-named Gaumont Theatre in 1950 and continued through to 1977 playing the Gaumont and Rank releases. It was taken over by the independent operator Panton Films from 27th February 1977 and re-named Coronet Cinema, with a reduced seating capacity of 399, using the stalls and balcony seating areas only.
The main original auditorium remained virtually intact. A second screen with 151 seats was erected on the stage in 2002. The main original auditorium then had a seating capacity of 380, with 220 in the stalls and 160 in the balcony(the gallery has been unused since it converted to a cinema in 1923). In May 2004 the Coronet Cinema was purchased by a church, but remained open as a cinema.
The church sold the building in May 2014, and the Coronet Cinema closed on Thursday 29th May 2014 with “X-Men:Days of Futures Past” showing in the main original auditorium and “The Grand Budapest Hotel” and “American Hustle” showing in screen 2 on the former stage. However, this cinema remained open for two more weeks, and closed on Thursday 12th June 2014. It was the last cinema in London to operate 35mm projectors.
The Coronet Cinema was sold to the Print Room Theatre Company who had outgrown their Westbourne Grove home. Local architecture firm Studio Indigo formulated plans to renovate and restore the building including reopening the original auditorium as a playhouse, but also as a cinema in the future. The screen 2 on the former stage was converted into a small live theatre space and opened 16th March 2015. The original main auditorium was renovated and a stage was built in the void in front of the dress circle. The rear stalls area was converted into a bar. In June 2022 a statue named “The Spirit of Painting” depicting artist Gavin Turk with an easel and paint brush, was placed on the cupola dome at the corner of the building. Originally when the Coronet Theatre first opened in 1898 that position on top of the cupola dome had a statue of a winged lady. It was removed from its position (possibly during World War I) and for over 100 years the cupola dome was bare apart from the small plinth which had supported the statue.
The Coronet Theatre is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.