Harrowgate Theatre

3421 Kensington Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19134

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Showing 5 comments

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on February 16, 2022 at 7:43 am

The Harrowgate Theatre was built in 1920 for Lewin Pizor and Benjamin Dintenfass in Harrowgate Square. Just prior to launch, however, the Stanley Theatre Circuit bought the Harrowgate in January of 1921 for $160,000 (or $200,000, depending on which report) from Dintenfass. At opening the Harrowgate seated 1,133 in a 73' by 150' venue becoming the 35th Stanley operated theater in the city. The Moller organ, alone, cost $25,000. The opening film was “The Mark of Zorro” on January 24, 1921. The opening manager of George Sobel coming over from the Iris Theatre.

The Harrowgate added sound to remain viable. At the 20th Anniversary of the theatre, Stanley Warner updated the Harrowgate and a group of other venues to make them more streamline moderne. The Harrowgate Theatre was closed at the expiry of a 30-year lease on September 30, 1951 with “Apache Drums” and “Ma and Pa Kettle Back on the Farm.” The venue was transformed into the long-running Kensington Roller Rink.

pnelson
pnelson on June 28, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Wide marquee and traditional art deco doors are dramatic. Would be nice to see interior pics.

TheALAN
TheALAN on June 28, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Does anyone know who the architect was and in what style the Harrowgate was designed?

Also, a discrepancy exists between the year the Harrowgate opened (1923) and the year the Moller organ was installed (1920). Perhaps the theater was built around the organ?

TheALAN
TheALAN on January 26, 2014 at 5:43 pm

The marquee is gone now and the lower half of the façade has been stuccoed over but the building still exists as banquet hall. The accompanying map is incorrect as it puts the theater in Harrowgate Park — between E. Tioga St. & E. Schiller St. The theater — at 3419-3423 Kensington Avenue — is between E. Schiller St. & E. Russell St.