7 Forster Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Tottenham district of north London, off the main Tottenham High Road in Forster Road at the corner of Chaplin Road. Originally built in 1885 for the Blue Ribbon Gospel Temperance Movement, it was initially a meeting hall. Early films were screened in March 1901 in what was by then known as the Forster Hall. In July 1901, it became the People’s Palace of Varieties, with music hall acts. The People’s Palace opened as a cinema on 2nd September 1907. It was operated as an independent by Sydney Walker and Company. Seating was provided on one floor. In 1920 a gentleman named Leslie Murray was operating it.
With newer more up to date cinemas beginning to open up, and with the large Palace Theatre just a few steps away being converted into a full time cinema from November 1922, the People’s Palace must have found it hard to compete. It closed in June 1923, and for many years became a factory for light industrial use. In around 1999 the factory had closed and the building was converted into a church. There is virtually nothing remaining internally to suggest this was a cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.