41 S. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Rapp & Rapp
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: Keith-Albee Palace Theatre, RKO Palace Theatre
The Keith-Albee Palace Theatre was opened on April 26, 1926 for both movies and vaudeville. The opening program featured Keith-Albee Vaudeville and on the screen was the Cecil B. DeMille production of “Three Faces East”. The building was built by the Polsky’s (of Polsky’s Department Store) and run by the Keith-Albee circuit. It was equipped with a Skinner 3 manual 15 ranks organ. In 1930 it was briefly renamed RKO Palace Theatre. From 1933 it was name Palace Theatre. It was closed as a movie theatre by General Cinema Corp. on March 1, 1966 with Tom Adams in “The Best Secret Agent in the Whole Wide World”.
It reopened as a live events theatre in 1969 as the Palace Theatre, but this use failed and later in 1969 it began use as a church. A broken water main in January 1970 halted that use and the Palace Theatre was demolished in October 1970, and the site (a parking lot) is currently owned by the Akron-Summit County Public Library.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.