3 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Criterion Theatre, Talkies Theatre
The Criterion Theatre was operating as a live theatre in 1910 it was briefly operated by Loew’s Inc. in that initial opening year. It was located on the Boardwalk opposite the Steel Pier. It was listed in the 1914-1915 edition of American Motion Picture Directory. On March 22, 1925 it was renamed Strand Theatre, reopening with Sid Chaplin in “Charley’s Aunt”. It was equipped with a 2 manual Wurlitzer organ. Listed in the 1941 edition of Film Daily Yearbook as part of Ventnor Realty & Leasing Co. They were still the operators until 1970 when it was taken over by Frank Theatres and began screening adult movies, which ceased in 1972. On June 16, 1973 it reopened as the Talkies Theatre screening classic movies, which closed at the end of the summer season. It reverted back to the Strand Theatre name and closed in 1979
It most likely was demolished for construction of one of the casinos.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.