Wheaton Grand Theater
123 N. Hale Street,
17 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Valos Theaters
Architects: Norman Brydges
Previous Names: Grand Theater, Paramount Theater, Wheaton Theater
News About This Theater
- Jul 9, 2012 — Volunteers raise funds to save historic Wheaton Grand Theater
- Apr 14, 2011 — Wheaton Grand to be demolished?
- May 4, 2010 — Wheaton Grand might return to full time cinema use
- Feb 17, 2010 — Happy 85th Anniversary, Wheaton Grand Theatre
- Mar 13, 2006 — Wheaton Grand Theater to Close for Restoration April 1st
- Feb 2, 2004 — Wheaton's Grand Theatre Rocks On
The Grand Theatre, which opened in 1925 with 1,000 seats, closed in the late-1990’s as a second-run movie house and is seeking to raise between $5-7 million for restoration costs. The new owners, the Wheaton Grand Theater Corp., reopened the theater on a limited basis in 2002 with the Wheaton Grand Theatre serving as a venue for concerts, classic film screenings and other community events.
The Wheaton Grand Theater closed April 1, 2006, to allow for the beginning of an $8 million restoration and renovation project which was expected to take around two years to return the theater to its original appearance, including a return to a single screen configuration. Unfortunately, by 2021, these plans had come to nothing, and the theatre sits empty and unused.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.