Majestic Theatre

Coronation Street,
Retford, DN22 6DX

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 3 comments

MappMan on April 16, 2020 at 11:26 am

Some further background taken from “Made in North Notts” (issue 13 November/December 2019, p.52).

Building work began in April 1927, taking six months to complete. It was operated by Cyril Getliffe, who also owned two other Retford cinemas – The Picture House (later the Roxy) and The Palace Theatre. It was built originally to take stage plays and moving pictures. The projectors were converted to sound in 1929. The cinema was sold to Midland Empire Theatres Ltd in 1943. It later became a bingo hall and began screening films again in 1968. It closed in 1983 and was put up for sale for the sum of £48,950. After being purchased in 1986 it became a two-screen cinema but closed again in 1992. The Retford Theatre Trust was established shortly afterwards to raise money to save the building.

One part of the building still has the original 1920s lino running through it and down a flight of stairs.

Ian on January 21, 2007 at 2:01 am

A series of photographs taken in 2007 are available.

Exterior here:-

Interior of auduitorium (side view and boxes) here:-

View of circle area here:-