No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Grand Theatre, Cannon
The Grand Theatre was designed by T.V. Woodhouse of Nottingham and opened in 1906 as a live theatre. It was largely rebuilt internally in 1928 to the plans of architect J.H. Tomlinson. It became a cinema shortly after this, despite having an excellent 40 foot deep stage, with a full height fly tower, and a very large number of dressing rooms.
It was acquired by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) around 1930 but not renamed until 1963. It was tripled in 1978 when the the stalls area became Screen 1 with 390 seats, the circle Screen 2 with 369 seats and the stage was adapted as Screen 3 with 171 seats. Later known as Cannon when the Cannon Group took over ABC in 1986, it reverted back to ABC in a management buyout. The ABC closed in 1997 when a new 8-screen ABC multiplex opened nearby.
The former Grand Theatre became a Rileys Snooker Club, using the ground floor only.
Inside, the building has been little altered from the triple cinema days. In the snooker hall the curved front of the edge of the balcony (not returned to the proscenium wall) can be seen, together with the lower portions of the altered (CinemaScope) proscenium arch and large stage area. All with a false ceiling above. Upstairs the former Screen 2 remains untouched but in poor condition, with a few broken seats left in situ, the screen has been ripped and behind it is possible to see traces of the original theatre proscenium arch with the upper parts of the very wide CinemaScope arch superimposed. The projection box is stripped. Behind the stage are around ten dressing rooms and on the top two floors of the block the managers flat. All windows have been bricked in and the area is almost unused and derelict.
The exterior of the building, with an unusual semi circular bay in the centre is believed to be intact although covered in the ABC cladding circa-1963. In the circle foyer there are still the covered windows of the bay, and the line of the balustrade is clearly discernable on the cladding. Entrance is now via one of the side exit doors, with the original foyer converted to kitchen/office space.
In March 2013, the building was purchased by a church, who plan to screen films in one of the auditoriums.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.