361 S.W. Madison Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Whiteside Theatre (Official)
Architects: Henderson Ryan
Styles: Italian Renaissance
News About This Theater
- Jun 19, 2009 — Whiteside Theatre update
- Jul 18, 2008 — Whiteside Theatre in Oregon seeks volunteers for restoration
- Sep 4, 2007 — Residents fight for Whiteside
- Feb 9, 2007 — Whiteside Theatre loss negates previous historic recognition
- Nov 14, 2006 — Whiteside Theatre public hearing tonight
When it opened November 9, 1922 with “The Old Homestead”. It was the grandest theatre in Oregon, second only to the Liberty Theatre in Portland.
The Whiteside Theatre had the largest Wurlitzer organ in the state at the time. It had a 2 manual console.
It was designed by Seattle architect Henderson Ryan. This theatre was built for movies, but has had live vaudeville acts on stage as well. On October 19, 1927 the auditorium was badly damaged by fire. It was refurbished and a new Wurlitzer organ was installed, with the theatre reopening January 2, 1928 with Glenn Tyrone in “A Hero for the Night”.
It closed on January 27, 2002, and in May 2008 was donated by Regal Entertainment Group to the Whiteside Theatre Foundation. Plans are proposed to program movies, local and touring live performances, educational workshops and other special events. It reopened in September 2011 presenting live performances and classic movies.
The Whiteside Theatre was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 25, 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.