Grand Theatre

115 S. Main Street,
Fitzgerald, GA 31750

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Related Websites

Grand Theatre, Fitzgerald (Official)

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Martin Theatres

Functions: Concerts, Conference Center, Live Performances, Movies

Styles: Art Deco

Previous Names: Lyric Theatre, Grand Opera House

Phone Numbers: Box Office: 229.426.5090
Manager: 229.426.5033

Nearby Theaters

Grand Theatre

Opened in 1911 as the Lyric Theatre, it was closed in 1912 and reopened as the Grand Opera House. It was renamed Grand Theatre in 1927. On September 4, 1935 it was destroyed by fire.

It was rebuilt in the Art Deco style, reopening on February 17, 1936 with Louise Fezenda in “The Widow from Monte Carlo”. The Grand theatre was closed on June 14, 1978.

Restoration began in 1986 and it was equipped with 35mm projectors in 1996, to be used for a film festival. On March 26, 2011 a Barton 3 manual 18 ranks theatre pipe organ which was built in 1926 and originally installed in the Orpheum Theatre, Galesburg, IL, was installed in the Grand Theatre and was opened by organist R. Jelanie Eddington.Fitzgerald.

Today the former movie theatre serves as both a venue for movies, concerts and other live entertainment as well as a conference center.

Contributed by Bryan Krefft

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

cccmoviehouses on February 4, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I had a tour of the Grand about 10 years ago. Fitzgerald should be extremely pleased that they have such a wonderful venue to be enjoyed by generations to come.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on May 24, 2022 at 10:14 pm

Corrected web site

Corrected history

The theater opened in 1911 as the Lyric Theatre. Financial difficulties led to its closure in less than a year. A new owner reopened the theater as the Grand Opera House. It operated under that name until 1927, when it was renamed Grand Theatre.

The original Grand burned on September 4, 1935, leaving only one corner of the structure intact. This corner was incorporated into the new Grand Theatre, which opened on February 17, 1936 with the feature film “The Widow from Monte Carlo” with Louise Fezenda, Warren William and Dolores Del Rio.

The Grand closed on June 14, 1978 and sat vacant until restoration began in 1986. 35mm film projection equipment was reinstalled in 1996, for a film festival commemorating the town’s centennial. Regular movie exhibition resumed in 2004, though only with special events one weekend a month until the Carmike Capri Twin closed in 2005, at which time first run films returned to the Grand. Digital projection equipment was installed in 2015.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.