5011 California Avenue SW,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Egyptian Theatre
Opened as the Granada Theatre on July 23, 1926 with Reginald Denny in “Coming Home”. It had 1,000-seats set in a Spanish Atmospheric style auditorium. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 manual, 7 ranks theatre organ which was opened by organist Nellie Dean Mitchell. In 1927 it was taken over by Universal Chain Theatrical Enterprises Inc. who operated it until July 1930 when it was taken over by the local Far West Theatres of Seattle. The organ was removed in 1939. It operated as the Egyptian Theatre for a while and in the early-1940’s and it was taken over by Sterling Theatres. By 1941 it had again been renamed Granada Theatre. It was closed as a movie theatre in February 1959. It was then used unsuccessfully as a live theatre, then presented special events.
In June 1963 the Granada Organ Loft Club installed a Wurlitzer 4 manual 32 Ranks organ which had come from the Liberty Theatre, Portland. Silent movies were screened for a number of years. Sterling Theatres installed a new wide-screen and sound equipment and played 2nd run movies to supplement to silent movie evenings. In February 1977, Sterling Theatres sold the theatre and it was immediately demolished. The site became a Denny’s restaurant. This has been demolished and apartments now stand on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.