Greenwood Community Theatre

110 Main Street,
Greenwood, SC 29646

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Related Websites

Greenwood Community Theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Jerry Lewis Cinemas, Paramount Pictures Inc.

Architects: Erle G. Stillwell

Functions: Performing Arts

Previous Names: State Theatre, Jerry Lewis Cinema

Nearby Theaters

Greenwood Community Theater

The State Theatre opened on January 1, 1935 with Francis Lederer in “The Pursuit of Happiness” & Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy in “Going Bye-Bye”. It had a seating capacity of 800. BY 1941 it was operated by H.F. Kincey, a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures Inc. After extensive renovation, photos of which can be seen below, the theatre re-opened as a performing arts center in 2008.

Contributed by Ken McIntyre

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 22, 2010 at 4:36 am

The public library of Henderson County, North Carolina, has published a book titled “Buildings as History” which is about the works of Hendersonville architect Erle G. Stillwell. The State Theatre in Greenwood, South Carolina, is listed as one of the many theaters he designed.

rivest266 on July 25, 2015 at 10:01 am

December 30th, 1934 opening ad as State in photo section as well as ads for the Fox, Jerry Lewis AKA: Fox, Jerry Lewis Cinema, Cinema •January 1st, 1935 opened by Wilby Kincy as State •June 2nd, 1971 renamed Fox •February 26th, 1972 became the first Jerry Lewis cinema in the state •1973 renamed Cinema •1978 closed as a cinema.

dallasmovietheaters on April 12, 2020 at 1:10 pm

Fred-Mark Associates was another of the odd theater owners who took an existing, old movie house in a town and converted it to a franchised and automated Jerry Lewis Cinema. This one may have made a bit more sense than the stand-alone in Monahans, Texas which was that owners only theater. Fred-Mark also established location in Seneca and two in Greenville. It relaunched as a JLC with Elvis Presley in “Clambake” on March 24, 1972.

50sSNIPES on April 30, 2021 at 7:09 am

Actually, according to the paper, the State Theatre opened its doors on New Year’s Day 1935 with Francis Lederer in “The Pursuit Of Happiness” along with a Hearst Metrotone Newsreel and a Laurel and Hardy short “Going Bye-Bye!”.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.