Cutler Majestic Theatre
219 Tremont Street,
13 people favorited this theater
Cutler Majestic Theatre at Emerson College (Official)
Previously operated by: Sack Theatres
Firms: Elkus Manfredi Architects
Previous Names: Majestic Theatre, Saxon Theatre, Emerson Majestic Theatre
News About This Theater
- Feb 14, 2014 — Digital Bits cebebrates "Sweet Charity" at 45
- Mar 17, 2013 — “South Pacific” 55th Anniversary – The Roadshow Engagements
- Oct 13, 2010 — Happy 55th, Todd-AO & "Oklahoma!"
- Nov 18, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Ben-Hur"
- Apr 14, 2005 — Emerson College to Redevelop the Paramount Theater
Architect John Galen Howard designed the building, and architect James M. Wood designed the interior of the 1,897-seat theatre. Originally opened on February 16, 1903 for opera, the Majestic Theatre was converted to vaudeville shows in the 1920’s and was showing movies as part of the program by 1923. Then, in the 1950’s, the Majestic Theatre was changed again, this time to a movies-only schedule. But unfortunately the change to film came with renovations that transformed the lobby and covered up much of John Galen Howard’s Beaux-Arts work.
The theatre continued to show movies until 1983 as the Saxon Theatre under the Sack chain. By then, the theatre, like many others in the area, had begun to deteriorate both in appearance and in programming.
Emerson College purchased the theatre and brought it back to its original Beaux-Arts splendor. In 1989, the first phase of renovations were completed, and in fall of 2003, the second phase of renovations completed. The theatre today is a performing arts center for both Emerson and the community at large. The theatre has again been renamed, the Cutler Majestic Theatre, after donors Ted and Joan Benard-Cutler.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.