Clyde Theater

106 Buckeye Street,
Clyde, OH 43410

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

dallasmovietheaters on September 8, 2021 at 5:59 pm

The Harkness Theatre launched November 23, 1915 at 106 West Buckeye Street with Mary Pickford in “Behind the Scenes.” Harkness Davenport’s aunt and uncle, E.S. Nichols named it after him as the Harkness Theatre. John G. Furrer took on the venue continuing it as a silent movie theater into the 1930s and declared bankruptcy in January of 1932. But the he made a comeback in September of 1932 and had sound films.

On January 29, 1938, it was renamed as the Clyde Theatre opening with Nelson Eddy in “Rosalie.” Fire damaged the theatre following the September 23, 1954 showings. It was repaired and became the Willow Theatre on September 14, 1955 under the operation of Louis LaBonte. Under one final operator, a Mr. Nuhn, it returned to the Clyde Theatre nameplate and went out of business following the April 13, 1958 showings.

In April of 1958, the former Clyde Theatre became the Deliverance Tabernacle Church in the late 1950s. It was used for sporadic rummage sales in the 1960s. The venue joined the long list of theatres in the parking lot brigade following its demolition in January of 1971.