81 Newgate Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Essoldo Circuit (Contol) Ltd.
Previous Names: Kings Cafe and Cinema
This former hall was altered in 1902 and re-opened as the Kings Hall. It was altered again in 1914 and re-opened at Christmas 1914 as the Kings Cafe and Cinema. The building also contained a ballroom, bookshop and tea-room. Seating was provided for 1,028 in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 24 feet wide and there was a stage for variety performances.
By 1937 the Kings Hall was listed with a seating capacity of 950. It was taken over by the Newcastle based Essoldo cinemas chain in 1947, and they closed the cinema on 13th January 1962. It was stripped out internally and became one of the first supermarkets in Bishop Auckland which opened later in 1962. Later the building became the Kings Auction/Sales room. The auditorium and ballroom have since been demolished and the front of the building (now missing its upper floors) and former foyer space and other rooms survive, the ground floor in use as a charity shop.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.