Odeon Sidcup

157 Station Road,
Sidcup, DA15 7AN

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Odeon Theatres Ltd., Rank Organisation

Architects: Frederick Adkins, Leonard Allen, Arthur Percival Starkey

Styles: Art Deco

Nearby Theaters

Odeon Sidcup

An original Odeon Theatre built for and operated by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. The Odeon opened on 21st October 1935 with Elizabeth Bergner in "Escape Me Never". Designed by architect A.P. Starkey, who was assisted by Frederick Adkins, the main entrance was recessed back from the pavement and was flanked by two shop units. The façade was faced with cream faience tiles, as was usual on Odeon Theatres.

Inside the auditorium seating was on a stadium plan, with a raised section at the rear, rather than an overhanging balcony. Seating was provided for 1,029 in the front and 342 in the raised rear section. There were three troughs in the auditorium ceiling which contained concealed lighting. Horizontal bands ran along the sidewalls.

The Odeon was closed on 16th October 1944 by German bomb damage to the auditorium. After several years building restrictions were lifted, and it was reconstructed to the plans of architect Leonard Allen, and re-opened on 2nd August 1954, with a reduced seating capacity of 1,268.

The Rank Organisation closed the Odeon on 14th January 1961 with Norman Wisdom in "The Bulldog Breed" and "The Final Dream". It was reconstructed internally and was purchased by the local Bexley council and converted into a swimming pool in 1967, and given the name Lamorbey Baths. The baths closed and the former auditorium was demolished in 2008. In 2020 the site became available to build 26 apartments. The façade was retained initially retained, but had been demolished by early-2023.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on March 27, 2009 at 9:00 pm

A vintage photograph of the Odeon, taken at its opening in October 1935:
View link
The former Odeon, photographed as the Lamorbey Baths in December 2007:
View link

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on March 30, 2009 at 11:18 am

A photograph from June 1984
View link

Buffer on January 24, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Added two interiors showing the Odeon in use as a swimming pool

Biffaskin on September 23, 2020 at 10:42 am

Closed as a swimming pool and purchased by the local college, the auditorium section has been demolished, only the facade remains.

bexleythenandnow on April 15, 2023 at 4:34 pm

Now completely demolished and a new private development of apartments is being constructed called “Urban Picturehouse”.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.