93-95 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Andrew Mather
Styles: Art Deco
Located in Rickmansworth, in the outer north-western area of today’s Greater London. Built and operated by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain. The Odeon opened on 29th January 1936 with Grace Mooore in "On Wings of Song". Located on the High Street, with an adjacent parade of shops & flats named Odeon Parade built on the corner of Church Street.
The Odeon had a brick facade, with stone dressings. On the left of the facade rose a brick tower. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided on a stadium plan, with no overhanging balcony. There were 574 seats in the stalls and 346 seats in the raised stepped balcony section.
The Odeon Rickmansworth was not a great success, playing films several weeks after cinemas in nearby Watford. It was an early closure by the Rank Organisation, closing on 5th January 1957 with Spencer Tracy in "The Mountain" and Richard Conte in "The Big Tip-Off".
It was purchased by the local Council, who proposed to convert the building into a public hall and swimming pool, but this never happened and it remained vacant for many years.
The cinema was demolished in 1965 and the site of the auditorium became a car park, with offices named Union Carbide House built where the front section of the building had stood. The ground floor is used by a dental surgeon named Quali Dental. The original Odeon Parade of shops and flats still exists.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.