415 S. Lafayette Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Stagecrafters @ Baldwin Theatre (Official)
Architects: Frederick D. Madison
Functions: Live Theater
Previous Names: Washington Theatre
Opened in 1922 as the Washington Theatre, this theater could seat 1,148 and contained an organ. It was designed by Frederick D. Madison.
The Washington Theatre remained a second-run theater into the early 1980’s, until it was acquired by a local theater group called Stagecrafters and renamed the Baldwin Theatre. Seating was reduced to 372 in the main stage and 100 in a studio stage. The old movie house has been renovated as a venue for live theater.
The original entrance and foyer at 422 S. Washington Avenue has been demolished and was a vacant lot for many years. In 2006 work began on an 18 story building containing lofts and parking which was completed in 2007. Access to the Baldwin Theatre auditorium is now at the former rear of the building at 415 S. Lafayette Avenue.
The Baldwin Theatre contains a main stage, a smaller second stage, and in addition to plays and musicals, presents children’s theater and also hosts occaisional organ concerts and other special events.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.