605 Market Avenue N,
11 people favorited this theater
The Palace Theatre (Official)
Architects: John Adolph Emil Eberson
News About This Theater
In downtown Canton, Ohio, a standing room only crowd welcomed the opening of Harry Harper Ink’s million dollar, 2,000-seat vaudeville and movie palace on Monday, November 22, 1926. It was equipped with a Kilgen 3 manual 9 ranks organ which was opened by organist Banks Kennedy, and the first piece of music to he heard was “Valencia”
Designed by the famed Atmospheric style theatre architect John Eberson, the Canton Palace Theatre duplicates a Spanish courtyard on a midsummer night. The ceiling, a starry sky with wisps of clouds, creates a dream effect for the audience to enjoy.
Doomed by the advent of television and a period of neglect and decay to Canton’s downtown area, the Palace Theatre’s doors were locked to the public and the marquee darkened on its 50th anniversary in 1976.
Rescued from the wrecking ball by a group of concerned citizens and the City of Canton, the Palace Theatre was held in trust until The Canton Palace Theatre Association could be formed. The building reopened in 1980 and the restoration of the theatre has been ongoing since. To date, approximately $4.0 million has been spent to restore the building.
The majestic Palace Theatre is once again the heartbeat of the Canton community and plays host to over 300 events per year that has an attendance of over 100,000 per year.
The theatre shows movies, art films, and many types of live talent events. The Kilgen organ is still in situ in the building today and following its restoration in 1993 it now has 11 ranks. it is the only Kilgen organ which is still in its original home.
The theatre is now listed on the National Register for Historic Places.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.