Avenida Ponce de Leon 1255,
9 people favorited this theater
Caribbean Cinemas (Official)
Operated by: Caribbean Cinemas
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The elegant Art Moderne style Metro Cinema opened in 1939 with a seating capacity of 1,000. Designed by noted American theatre architect Thomas W. Lamb, it was operated by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
From that time through 1974 it only showed movies distributed by MGM or Walt Disney.
All the great MGM classics from "Gone with the Wind", and "Dr. Zhivago" were shown there. In the 1960’s a Panavision 70mm screen was added just in time for "2001:A Space Odyssey"
The Metro Cinema was later bought by Caribbean Cinemas, who turned it into a three screen movie theater in 1989.
It remains the only surviving movie theater of the once thriving (15 theater) Santurce downtown district. It is still the place where most elegant movie premieres take place and was renovated in 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.