216 E. Broughton Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Weis Theatres
Firms: Tucker & Howell
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Weis Theater
Designed by architects Tucker & Howell as the Weis Theater, this Art Moderne style 28,296-square-foot building was opened in 1946 by the Weis family, which also operated the Savannah, Roxy and East Side Theaters in Savannah and the Bibb Theater in Macon. This theater, with seating for over 1,100 on its main floor and balcony, featured live entertainment in addition to movies. The Weis Theater closed in 1980.
Later acquired by the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), the Weis was beautifully restored to its original appearance as a venue for both live performances, including concerts, and film and video screenings (including hosting the Savannah Film Festival since 1998).
Of course, one of its main uses is for the performing arts department of the college, including lectures, student performances (both live and on-screen), and fashion shows. The official name of the theater is now the Trustees Theater.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.