Shea's Performing Arts Center
646 Main Street,
28 people favorited this theater
Shea's Performing Arts Center (Official)
Firms: Rapp & Rapp
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: Shea's Buffalo Theatre, Loew's Buffalo Theatre
News About This Theater
The 4,000-seat Shea’s Buffalo Theatre opened on January 16, 1926 with Adolph Menjou in “The Melting Pot. The proscenium is 66ft wide and the stage 32ft deep. In the 1930’s the seating capacity was reduced to 3,489-seats. It is equipped with a Wurlitzer 4 manual 28 ranks organ which was opened by organist Lloyd G. Castillo. From 1948 it was operated by Loew’s Inc. They closed the Buffalo Theatre as a movie theatre on June 30, 1975.
Shea’s Performing Arts Center is run by a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing a combination of musicals, Broadway productions, operas and concerts to downtown Buffalo. It is a historic and cultural landmark and features an annual series of free classic movies as well as free concert series directed towards young audiences.
The theatre was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
In 2009, all five original designs of carpet were replicated, replacing ordinary carpet installed thirty five years ago. The original patterns were all variations of a burgundy, dark blue and gold combination.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.