El Paseo Theatre
810 N. Palm Canyon Drive,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Clifford A. Balch
The El Paseo building was built in 1926 and in 1930 a small movie theater opened there in an art gallery. The Riverside Press-Enterprise noted in 2004 that in 1935 Earle Strebe took over the theatre. Mr. Strebe got interested in the theater business around 1928 by running the movie projectors at the Desert Inn. According to a January 1938 Desert Sun story El Paseo Theatre was reopening after a $10,000 renovation, which increased its size.
El Paseo Theatre was generally open seasonally, which was from November to May. In its down time there is mention of it in the newspapers as being used for stage plays and church services. After May 1, 1960 when it closed for the season there is no indication in the Desert Sun that it ever opened again. The Film Daily Yearbook of 1950 listed the theater with 285 seats.
The historic building was restored in 2007 and since September of 2012 the theater section has been home to the Workshop Kitchen+Bar.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.