Savoy Cinema

Market Street,
Colne, BB8 0LL

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Star Cinemas

Previous Names: Victoria Hall, Savoy Super Cinema

Nearby Theaters

Savoy Cinema

Located in Colne, Lancashire, the Victoria Hall was screening films from 1909. In 1922 alterations were carried out and it re-opened on 18th September 1922 as the Savoy Cinema. It was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain in September 1949 and on 9th September 1949 it was closed for one week to allow alterations to take place, it re-opened as the Savoy Super Cinema. Star Cinemas were still operating it in 1954. It was closed on 10th June 1960. It was demolished to make way for Scott’s Supermarket in mid-1960’s, and later became Tesco Supermarket.

It stood on the corner of Market Street and Skelton Street.

Contributed by Mike

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

HJHill on October 27, 2015 at 3:47 pm

The Victoria Assembly Rooms in Market Street were designed and owned by a Councillor Holgate. There was a large, ballroom-sized, upper room, the ‘Victoria Hall’, beneath which was the ‘Lesser Victoria Hall’.

In 1909 and 1912, Andrews travelling pictures had sessions at the upper hall. In January 1914 it was advertising as the ‘Picture House, Victoria Hall’. It is listed in the Kinematograph Year Book 1914 as the ‘Victoria Hall’; with no other information.

On 29 May 1922 it closed for extensive alterations; and reopened on 18 September 1922 as the Savoy Cinema. The two halls had been amalgamated as one, creating an auditorium with a balcony.

According to ‘Chronicles of Pendle Picture Palaces’ (by Peter Sagar for the Mercia Cinema Society) talkies debuted on 25 May 1931 with ‘General Electric British Talking Pictures’ and a ‘Westone Rubber Sound Screen’. However, KYB 1931 gives the sound system as ‘Edibell’. KYB 1935 to KYB 1949 has ‘BTP’. In KYB 1950 this changed to Western Electric, which looks to coincide with the ownership passing from ‘Victoria Picturedrome (Colne) Ltd’ to Star Cinemas.

From KYB 1935 to KYB 1949 the capacity is 900. It is 806 in KYB 1950; 807 KYB 1954 and 1957 (the later indicates ‘CinemaScope’).

The last film was Ted Ray in ‘Please Turn Over’ on Saturday 10 June 1960.

mjh1947 on November 23, 2016 at 9:15 am

The licence transfer to Star Cinemas was in September 1949 and the cinema was closed for one week for alterations from Sept 9th and week.On reopening it was advertised as the Savoy Super Cinema.

Buffer on September 8, 2019 at 5:21 am

The Savoy name has been recreated in the Little Savoy Community Picture House (behind Trinity Baptist Church in Robert Street) This shows vintage films free on Saturdayy plus family films two Friday evenings a month.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.