1412 Farnam Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Harry Lawrie
Firms: Mendelssohn, Fisher & Lawrie
Previous Names: Sun Theater
News About This Theater
- Oct 30, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Sleeping Beauty"
The Sun Theater opened on Thanksgiving Day (November 30), 1916 with Clara Kimball Young in “In the Dark Silence”. It was operated by the Goldberg Brothers. It was equipped with a Kimball 2 manual organ which was opened by organist Prof. Geo. Koehl of New York. By 1926 it was operated by World Theatre Circuit.
The lights in the 1,081-seat theater were shaped like sunbursts. The color scheme for the lobby and auditorium was red and ivory. The seating was so steep that one could climb from the balcony into the top row of the main floor.
On September 14, 1929 the name of the Sun Theater was changed to the State Theater and it was closed by 1932. It had reopened by 1933 when it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. By 1936 it was closed again. It remained closed into 1941. It had reopened by 1943 and continued mainly showing Walt Disney films, until 1969.
The State Theater was demolished in 1976.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.