44 London Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Harry W. Weedon Partnership
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Odeon, Classic, Regent 1 & 2
Located in Spalding, Lincolnshire on London Road at the corner of Haverfield Road. This was one of the original Odeon Theatres in Oscar Deutsch’s chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. which opened on 28th February 1938 with Janet Gaynor in “A Star is Born”. Designed by architect Harry Weedon, who was assisted by architect Basil Heering. It had a rounded tower feature on the corner over the entrance, which was clad in cream coloured tiles. In the auditorium seating was provided for 1,208 in a stadium plan, with 886 seats in the front stalls and 322 in a raised stepped ‘circle’ section at the rear.
The Rank Organisation sold a group of Odeon’s to the Classic Cinemas chain on 10th December 1967, and the Odeon Spalding was one of them. It was renamed Classic Cinema. Bingo was tried on mid-week nights from 8th January 1968. The Classic Cinema was twinned in 1971, reopening on 7th May 1971 with “Murphy’s War” in the 768-seat auditorium and “The Virgin and the Gypsy” in the 248-seat auditorium.
It was taken over by an independent operator from 6th October 1974 and re-named Regent 1 & 2. In 1981 it was re-named Gemini Cinema and was closed in July 1983. The building stood derelict until October 1987 when it was demolished. A block of retirement flats known as Georgian Court was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.