20 High Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Architects: Harold Seymour Scott
Previous Names: Empire Theatre, Odeon
Located in Aldershot, Hampshire. A classic example of early-1930’s super cinema, built as a cine-variety theatre called the Empire Theatre. It opened on 1st August 1930 with “Alf’s Button”. The proscenium is 40 feet wide. It has a horseshoe shaped balcony, huge stage and once had a Compton 2Manual/6Ranks organ which was opened by organist Percy Fryer. There was a also a restaurant over the main entrance.
It was taken over by the County Cinemas chain in 1930. They were taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. in September 1939. Operated by Circuit Management Association(CMA) in the 1950’s, it was then part of the Rank Organisation and was renamed Odeon on 18th January 1964. The Compton organ was removed in the early-1960’s. The Odeon was closed on 17th October 1981, and it was used as a church, known as the Kings Centre. In the late-2000’s it was threatened with demolition. However, the church moved out in August 2015, and new owners reopened the building as the Aldershot Empire, a mixed use venue which will have wedding facilities, live music and occasional film shows.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.