Central Park Theatre
932 7th Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Shubert Brothers Theater Company
Architects: Herbert J. Krapp
Previous Names: Jolson's 59th Street Theatre, Shakespeare Theatre, Molly Picon Theatre, Jolson Theatre, Venice Theatre, New Century Theatre
Designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp and built for the Shubert Brothers Theater Company, Jolson’s 59th Street Theatre opened on October 6, 1921. The theatre was named in honor of Al Jolson who starred in the opening live production of “Bombo”. In February of 1931, the Shubert Theatre Corporation leased the theatre to Leo Brecher for use as a movie theatre. Motion picture equipment was installed and the theatre was re-named the Central Park Theatre. The Central Park Theatre is listed in the 1932 Film Daily Yearbook with 1,800 seats.
Use as a motion picture theatre was short and the theatre reverted back to being a live theatre. This theatre underwent several name changes over the years with its final name being the New Century Theatre. In the 1950’s, the New Century Theatre was leased to NBC for use as a television studio. The theatre was demolished in 1962 and replaced by an apartment building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.