80 S. La Grange Road,
16 people favorited this theater
Classic Cinemas (Official)
Operated by: Classic Cinemas
Firms: R. Levine & Co.
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Renaissance Revival
News About This Theater
- Nov 20, 2008 — La Grange board members worried about $1 million payment
- Nov 12, 2008 — $1 Million Approved For LaGrange Theater Restoration
- Sep 11, 2008 — La Grange Theatre's co-owners seek village funding
- Nov 26, 2007 — La Grange Theatre - needs $3.5 million for restoration
- Nov 6, 2007 — LaGrange Theatre undergoes renovations
This 1,450-seat movie house in downtown LaGrange opened in 1925, and was designed by architect Edward P. Rupert working out of the architectural firm R. Levine & Co. It was built and operated by the Gregory-Bernasek Theater Corp. chain.
Operated by Chicago’s Balaban & Katz chain during the 1930’s thru 1950’s. It was re-modeled in 1949 to the plans of architect Roy A. Blass. The LaGrange Theatre remains in business today, divided into four screens in the 1990’s, and screening second-run fare.
In November 2008, the theatre’s owners received $1 million from the village of La Grange towards the renovation and restoration of the theatre, which is expected to take a year to a year and a half to complete.
In early-2022, the theatre was acquired by Classic Cinemas, and is under a luxury restoration with heated recliners in every auditorium, and many other new amenities. It reopened May 26, 2022 with 3-screens and a further 3-screens under construction opened in November 2022.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.