Temple Theatre

618 W. 3rd Street,
San Bernardino, CA 92410

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Fox West Coast Theatres

Architects: Peter W. Ehlers, Howard E. Jones

Styles: Streamline Moderne

Previous Names: Capri Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Temple Theatre

In 1906 was the year Sanborn Insurance Maps showed a garage at the location. The Temple Theatre was opened on November 19, 1909. Alterations were carried out in 1917 to the plans of architect Peter W. Ehlers.

A 2004 article in the San Bernardino Sun, noted that the reconstructed 620-seat Temple Theatre, co-owned by W.H. Braman, reopened in 1939 at a cost of $35,000. It was said that only the walls remained of the 20-year-old theatre, designed anew in the streamline fashion by architect Howard E. Jones.

The Film Daily Year Book listed the Temple Theatre 1943 through 1955 as a Fox West Coast Theatre and it was delisted after that year. It briefly reopened on August 18, 1959 as an art house theatre named Capri Theatre, but closed in March 1960. It went over to operating as a grind house theatre and closed on July 4, 1960.

The historical address on the Sanborn Maps and the FDYB was 618-20 3rd Street, the third building on the northwest corner of W. 3rd Street and F Street. This address no longer exists since the Central City Mall, which opened in 1972, replaced six square blocks of downtown, mostly eliminating and realigning three blocks of 3rd Street. The location today would place the former Temple Theatre at about the center of the mall.

Contributed by rpierce

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 26, 2019 at 5:56 pm

The Temple Theatre had a very brief afterlife as the Capri Theatre, which operated as an art house for a short time in late 1959 and early 1960 (undated article.)

dallasmovietheaters on April 10, 2021 at 8:33 pm

Reopened as the short-lived Capri Theatre on August 18, 1959 as an art house playing “Henry V” for Fox West Coast Theatres.

dallasmovietheaters on April 10, 2021 at 8:45 pm

The Temple Theatre opened with motion pictures on November 19, 1909. It rewired for sound to stay relevant continuing into the television era. It was reopened as the short-lived Capri Theatre on August 18, 1959 and repositioned as an art house playing “Henry V” for Fox West Coast Theatres. The art policy was discontinued in March of 1960 and the theatre became a grind house with double-features playing continuously. The theatre losed permanently on July 4, 1960 with “Alias Jesse James,” “Pork Chop Hill” and an edited version of the Johannson v. Patterson prize fight. The theatre was then razed for a parking lot.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 2, 2021 at 9:41 pm

The July 20, 1917 issue of Southwest Builder & Contractor had a notice saying that architect Peter W. Ehlers of San Bernardino had prepared plans for alterations and expansion of the Temple Theatre there. The estimated cost of the project was $15,000.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.